[Not a bug] Grabbing soulsphere in the air makes you levitate.

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Re: Grabbing soulsphere in the air makes you levitate.

Postby Rachael » Fri May 28, 2021 7:24 pm

Then just wait to send it until you are at your PC... it's not rocket science.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby yum13241 » Fri May 28, 2021 9:36 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:No, he does not.
I was totally unable to reproduce such an effect.

I'll attach a video.
yum13241

Discord: yum13241#8226
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby yum13241 » Fri May 28, 2021 9:38 pm

Rachael wrote:Then just wait to send it until you are at your PC... it's not rocket science.

I never said it was, so stop accusing me of things I didn't do.
yum13241

Postby Rachael » Fri May 28, 2021 9:50 pm

yum13241 wrote:I never said it was, so stop accusing me of things I didn't do.

I never accused you of anything. I am more just shocked how completely obvious things seem to somehow be foreign concepts to you. Like, with how you often ask a question, get a response, and then grill me for several more posts about things you could have found out completely on your own through experimentation. Or how you somehow can't send a video because you are at an engagement - which is fine and dandy but the board will still be here when you're done with that, you could have just waited until you were back at your PC instead of saying anything at all.

I know we all have our moments - hell I know I've had a few myself. They just seem to happen much more frequently for you than most.
Rachael
Admin

Postby yum13241 » Fri May 28, 2021 10:03 pm

Rachael wrote:
yum13241 wrote:I never said it was, so stop accusing me of things I didn't do.

I never accused you of anything. I am more just shocked how completely obvious things seem to somehow be foreign concepts to you. Like, with how you often ask a question, get a response, and then grill me for several more posts about things you could have found out completely on your own through experimentation. Or how you somehow can't send a video because you are at an engagement - which is fine and dandy but the board will still be here when you're done with that, you could have just waited until you were back at your PC instead of saying anything at all.

I know we all have our moments - hell I know I've had a few myself. They just seem to happen much more frequently for you than most.

I am shocked on how dumb you think I am. Anyways, here is the link to the video showcasing the bug: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9x0s1oxuzw4l ... 3.mp4?dl=0.
yum13241

Postby wildweasel » Sat May 29, 2021 12:32 am

yum13241 wrote:I am shocked on how dumb you think I am. Anyways, here is the link to the video showcasing the bug: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9x0s1oxuzw4l ... 3.mp4?dl=0.

What I suspect is happening here, in the process of you jumping to reach the "floating" soulsphere, is that you're landing on the invisible floor beneath it (since vanilla Doom items normally cannot be suspended in the air), and assuming you've still got your Jump button pressed when you land, your character jumps again, producing that "levitation" effect.

If you don't believe me, try stopping in "mid-air" where the soulsphere was at.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Rachael » Sat May 29, 2021 4:18 am

yum13241 wrote:I am shocked on how dumb you think I am.

I never said anything about that. 🤷‍♀️

You're quick to assume things. You've done it at least three times in this thread alone, already. And you want to lecture me about what I think of your intelligence, when you insist on making these dumb short-sighted assumptions and sticking with them even when told you are wrong and explained how you are wrong? 🤦‍♀️

I have no issue with you asking questions - I think it's good you do that, and it's what curious people do. Where it gets annoying though is where your follow-up questions, after getting an answer, are blatantly obvious, like, the answer should just be "why don't you just try it yourself and see?"

On the topic, I think wildweasel is right. That looks like a second jump to me. You're on an invisible platform, and it's likely you're holding down the jump key. I don't even know if you realize it. So, I don't see any issue at all, here.
Rachael
Admin

Postby yum13241 » Sat May 29, 2021 12:36 pm

wildweasel wrote:
yum13241 wrote:I am shocked on how dumb you think I am. Anyways, here is the link to the video showcasing the bug: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9x0s1oxuzw4l ... 3.mp4?dl=0.

What I suspect is happening here, in the process of you jumping to reach the "floating" soulsphere, is that you're landing on the invisible floor beneath it (since vanilla Doom items normally cannot be suspended in the air), and assuming you've still got your Jump button pressed when you land, your character jumps again, producing that "levitation" effect.

If you don't believe me, try stopping in "mid-air" where the soulsphere was at.

I tried this time, without holding the jump key, and I still levitated, but I believe this is because of velocity (When you release W, Doomguy doesn't full stop instantly), and it gives the effect.
yum13241

Postby Rachael » Sat May 29, 2021 1:14 pm

Keep in mind no matter what, you're on an invisible platform, that is really what is at work here. Try jumping to the platform and while in mid-air backpedal. If you do it just right, you might be able to stay on the platform for longer than a moment.

Doom physics have always been a bit quirky (mostly due to their extremely simplistic nature - this is 1993 we're talking about here after all!) and with the movement bob it makes things even more confusing.
Rachael
Admin

Postby Gez » Sat May 29, 2021 3:10 pm

If you arrive at a height between 1 below and 24 below the height of the invisible platform, you will automatically step up on it.
Gez

Postby yum13241 » Sat May 29, 2021 5:33 pm

Gez wrote:If you arrive at a height between 1 below and 24 below the height of the invisible platform, you will automatically step up on it.

If it were invisible stairs that would make sense.
yum13241

Postby Rachael » Sat May 29, 2021 5:47 pm

yum13241 wrote:If it were invisible stairs that would make sense.

I'm just going to reiterate this:
Rachael wrote:Doom physics have always been a bit quirky (mostly due to their extremely simplistic nature - this is 1993 we're talking about here after all!)
Rachael
Admin

Postby wildweasel » Sat May 29, 2021 6:23 pm

Here are two other ways you can illustrate for yourself what's going on:

METHOD 1
- Open map15.
- Walk up to the plinth where the soul sphere is floating. Just hop up to it.
- Try walking across the center portion of the plinth. You can't - there is a pillar in your way.
- That's what's holding the soul sphere up there.

METHOD 2
- Enable the Noclip cheat.
- Do not jump. Walk towards the center of the plinth where the soul sphere is floating.
- You will briefly ascend to the ceiling. Because it's a floor, and the noclip cheat disables the floor height check.

The only "bug" going on here, is whatever sector trick the Dwango author(s) used to make the pillar invisible in the first place. And that's not a bug to fix, because it's probably been used by hundreds of maps since.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby yum13241 » Sat May 29, 2021 7:19 pm

wildweasel wrote:Here are two other ways you can illustrate for yourself what's going on:

METHOD 1
- Open map15.
- Walk up to the plinth where the soul sphere is floating. Just hop up to it.
- Try walking across the center portion of the plinth. You can't - there is a pillar in your way.
- That's what's holding the soul sphere up there.

METHOD 2
- Enable the Noclip cheat.
- Do not jump. Walk towards the center of the plinth where the soul sphere is floating.
- You will briefly ascend to the ceiling. Because it's a floor, and the noclip cheat disables the floor height check.

The only "bug" going on here, is whatever sector trick the Dwango author(s) used to make the pillar invisible in the first place. And that's not a bug to fix, because it's probably been used by hundreds of maps since.

Ik there is an invisible platform, I've ran into it before.
yum13241

Postby wildweasel » Sat May 29, 2021 9:21 pm

yum13241 wrote:Ik there is an invisible platform, I've ran into it before.

But that's my point: you will run into it regardless of how high up you are, unless you're high enough to be on top of it. It's almost the full height of the sector, and you're landing and re-jumping on it. The "levitating" effect is a byproduct of that coupled with Doom's view bob.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

PreviousNext

Return to Closed Bugs