[Fixed] Hexen: LFEDGE/RTEDGE drawn too high

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Re: Hexen: LFEDGE/RTEDGE drawn too high

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu May 27, 2021 5:59 am

I'm still having issues with the submodule. It just won't update and I get no help from Git why.
So this will go away ASAP once Nash has completed his work.
It was the first and the last time to ever bother with them.
At work we have a colleague who loves to use them and in recent weeks converted half of our repos to using submodules, and as a result projects now constantly break, so fuck 'em!

Git really needs something better to link child repos without dragging in their entire content.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Rachael » Thu May 27, 2021 7:15 am

Glad we figured that out before converting all the libraries over to submodules. That could have ended badly.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu May 27, 2021 7:29 am

They are really nice on paper, and work fine most of the time if you just commit, push and pull - but don't change the linked repo's content, but constantly cause problems if you need to switch between branches, or bisect the repo to track down an error. Half the time they don't update properly, sometime they even completely lose track of the actual commit etc. The trouble started for me the last time I had to reset the repo to an older state to find the cause of a bug. I guess if I freshly checked out again it'll work again, but for how long?

In all honesty, I never trusted them to begin with, but did it this time because I didn't want to get all the binary baggage into our own commit tree.
Graf Zahl

Postby Rachael » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:54 pm

After a tedious and frustrating fight with my local git repo where I was creating a custom build for somebody, I've come to the conclusion that I fully support your decision to abandon submodules completely. They are ... to put it EXTREMELY nicely, ... a fucking nightmare, and the worst implementation of a feature I have ever experienced.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Previous

Return to Closed Bugs