[Duplicate] Resize textures breaks security cameras

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Resize textures breaks security cameras

Postby ZDL_800 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:41 pm

This has occurred throughout 2020 and there's posts explaining the same issue and the devs state they fixed it on the thread?

From where I'm testing its not fixed, black screen on any camera if resize is active.

I have a list of major bugs with recent and beta version of GZDoom, its really bad.

Can anyone help please as our security cameras were working fine for over a year.
ZDL_800
Banned User

Re: Resize textures breaks security cameras

Postby ZDL_800 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:12 pm

Other posts here, same issue throughout 2020.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69106

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=68904

Hope this helps.
ZDL_800
Banned User

Postby ZDL_800 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:26 pm

You could test this on the Stronghold mod if you like or I can link you the 2012 version of ACM, whatever you need but any reply right would be great as to what's going off here?

Any mod/game which implements an external camera suffers from this.

This bug has occurred for nearly a year now.
ZDL_800
Banned User

Postby wildweasel » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:27 pm

Perhaps a smaller, more direct example file is in order, instead of requiring the devs to find and download an entire large TC.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby ZDL_800 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:48 pm

Hello and thanks for the reply.

I agree, let me reduce the TC and move the players into the first room where the cameras are. Hopefully should be a lot easier to see this issue.

Thanks again.
ZDL_800
Banned User

Postby Enjay » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:12 pm

I can't actually check resize mode just now but does this simple example show the effect?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Lydia Lightbanks » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:46 pm

Hi, I do get the black camera texture. gzdoom-x64-g4.6pre-84-gff1b31b10, gtx 960, both vulkan and opengl.

gzdoom.exe -file Camera.pk3 +gl_texture_hqresizemode 1 +gl_texture_hqresizemult 2

Run without gzdoom.ini, start the game and the texture is black. Any valid higher value for those two will result to the same bug. The third which has an effect is gl_texture_hqresize_targets and it's on by default.

Notes:
The camera texture starts to work if any of those three is briefly switched to an other value and back.

If I run GZDoom when either -_targets is off, -mode is none, or -mult is off the camera texture works even if I turn them all on from the menu. ***When all of them are on the black texture will appear after GZDoom has been restarted.***
Lydia Lightbanks

Postby ZDL_800 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:50 pm

Hello Enjay thanks for the reply.

Allow me to test this right away, I'll report back ASAP.

Absolutely fantastic for helping us out Great Enjay!

Thanks again.
ZDL_800
Banned User

Postby ZDL_800 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:18 pm

Hello Enjay just an update here,

Thankyou so much for the preview camera.pk3, brilliant works.

Make sure to set all options to extreme, activate resize, it will still work, but quitting the game with the settings, restart the game, Bam, black screen on the cameras.

Most likely GZDoom devs haven't quit and restarted the game to take effect.

Like this other preview vid on our mod page, guy claims it works but in reality he did not quit and restart the game to take full effect!

So users are getting confused trying to blame our hardware! Issue occurs on both AMD/Nvidia GPU's.

Thanks Enjay you the best!!!!!
ZDL_800
Banned User

Postby zhadoom » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:53 am

ZDL_800 wrote:Make sure to set all options to extreme, activate resize, it will still work, but quitting the game with the settings, restart the game, Bam, black screen on the cameras.

Most likely GZDoom devs haven't quit and restarted the game to take effect.

Yes, exactky this, I reported a while ago.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=70723

Kind regards
zhd
zhadoom

Postby ZDL_800 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:01 pm

That was Nov 2020, I see threads from June 2020

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69106

I experienced this issue back in April/May 2020 I'm sure of it, nearly a year later still persists.
ZDL_800
Banned User

Postby SanyaWaffles » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:15 am

I know it needs to be fixed eventually because it seems this wasn't completely fixed back when.

However, I don't think constantly nagging the developers is going to help.

Perhaps just tell people to not use the hq resizing feature that's breaking security cameras if they're that important for your mod.

Then update the non-duplicate bug report thread with the relevant information - and with a minimal demo and exact reproduction steps. Minimal means something that is small enough and can run with stock DOOM2.WAD. Minimal doesn't mean something that requires 500MB and a fiber connection to download fast, which you have a history of your bug reports being very complex in the past with the amount of files we need to download to reproduce, and it can get frustrating - especially if they are being hosted on some gated filesharing site.

If they don't respond in time, leave it be for a bit, they'll get to it eventually. Nagging them further is just going to annoy them further I reckon. Just work around it for now.
SanyaWaffles
Now I've awoken, and I'm taking back control.

Discord: SanyaWaffles#5095
Twitch ID: sanyawaffles
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby drfrag » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:23 am

All those upscalers are always giving all kind of problems specially in the software renderer, i wonder if it would be possible to "just" apply them to the entire screen rendering to a lower resolution first and then upsampling to the full resolution like it's done in 2D emulators i believe. The only one i find valuable is NormalNx BTW and there's a suggestion to emulate it with a shader.
drfrag
Os voy a romper a pedazos!
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Discord: drfrag#3555
Github ID: drfrag666

Postby Rachael » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:51 am

@ Sanya: Thank you for saying that and handling it calmly. My response to that probably would have been snippy and smart, certainly not as informative, which is why I didn't say anything at all.

That being said - @ ZDL_800: I 100% agree with everything she said in that post.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Nash » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:56 am

drfrag wrote:All those upscalers are always giving all kind of problems specially in the software renderer, i wonder if it would be possible to "just" apply them to the entire screen rendering to a lower resolution first and then upsampling to the full resolution like it's done in 2D emulators i believe. The only one i find valuable is NormalNx BTW and there's a suggestion to emulate it with a shader.

I've been thinking about that too. Like those emulators with the HQ scalers. It just smears the whole screen.
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Next

Return to Closed Bugs