[Can't fix] MEATSHIELD/ENEMY TOSS CRASHES BRUTAL DOOM V21.

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

MEATSHIELD/ENEMY TOSS CRASHES BRUTAL DOOM V21.

Postby Sidney Cacklestock » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:59 pm

I have tried several different versions of Gzdoom and I've encountered the same problem every single time throughout my tests. I am running Brutal Doom v21 through Gzdoom 4.2.4 (most of the time) but I've tried it with GZdoom 4.5, along with the most current community build as well. I was not running any wads/upgrades when I encountered this problem. ANYWAYS...When I get my Berserk powerup and then grab an enemy to use as a "Meatshield", I shoot at all of the other enemies until my pistol is empty and reads 0, then I throw the enemy away from me or at another enemy and it crashes. Keep in mind also that I'm able to do that stuff without it instantly crashing maybe 3 or 4 times but ultimately, those series of actions always seems to crash the game, giving me a screen that reads:

VM execution aborted: SguyShield.StateFunction.0 called without valid caller. SguyShield expected
Called from state SguyShield.0
Called from PSprite.SetState (Native)
Called from PSprite.Tick at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/actors/playe/player.zs, line 2565
Called from PlayerPawn.TickPSprites at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/actors/player/player.zs, line 481
Called from PlayerPawn.PlayerThink at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/actors/player/player.zs, line 1629

Please forgive me if this problem has been brought up before. I'm just curious to know if this is a bug that the Brutal Doom game developer needs to fix or if it's one that GZDOOM needs to fix? I've been playing this game for quite a while with and without wads/upgrades and no matter what I'm using with the game, it still persists. I'm not fluent in the coding language and trying to decipher what causes these problems is like a foreign language to me but I'm trying to learn. Please let me know any information regarding this. I can probably send a video to whoever wants to see this issue firsthand, I just didn't know how to upload anything on here. Thank you. -Matt
Sidney Cacklestock

Re: MEATSHIELD/ENEMY TOSS CRASHES BRUTAL DOOM V21.

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:04 am

This is a problem in the mod. At the time this code was written the engine did not check for this error case and could produce undefined behavior.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Winifred Cladgehere » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:26 pm

So will I just have to wait until the developer of Brutal Doom V21 fixes it or is there something else I could do?
Winifred Cladgehere

Postby wildweasel » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:17 pm

Winifred Cladgehere wrote:So will I just have to wait until the developer of Brutal Doom V21 fixes it or is there something else I could do?

If you're feeling adventurous, you could see how to fix the mod yourself - however, I would definitely not recommend this. It'd be more advisable to report the bug to the author and hope they can fix it.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Valken » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:34 pm

The problem is the Brutal Doom mods programming. Even Sarge had said his code is spaghetti hell.

Bloodwolf is actively cleaning up the code for Brutal Doom 2.1 with patches and fixes here:

https://www.moddb.com/members/bloodwolf333/downloads

He is the author of all those BD patches and has since just baked the patch into a full Brutal Doom 2.1x mod file.

Be aware he has his older patches for download as well to keep compatibility with Brutal Doom mods...
Valken

Postby Winifred Cladgehere » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:26 am

I have tried every version of BLOODWOLF's available PK3 files, and although the problem seems to be fixed regarding my first post, more problems arise now. All the upgrades that I have downloaded for V21 don't always work with his updated versions and he has altered certain mechanics of the gameplay that just annoy me. BRUTAL DOOM V21 is perfect to me except the meatshield/enemy toss problem that were discussing. Every wad/upgrade that I have for it works perfect, I just want that single problem fixed! Trust me, if I could fix it myself, I would. I would even gladly pay someone to fix it for me. BLOODWOLF just sent me a zip file of the patch and I'm not able to incorporate it into my game, I have tried. Plus, I for some reason cant make batch files on my computer. I'm not a coding wizard and have no idea what I'm doing. All the other gameplay mechanics in BDV21 are perfect for me, I just want this one problem fixed so I can enjoy the game the way it is. Instead of hoping and praying the next version that comes out isn't completely changed to the point that I don't want to play it. When I played BLOODWOLF's "brutalV21.4.3.pk3" file it seemed to be fixed, and that version was as close to the original that I could find but some of my upgrades did not work. If this problem in "brutalv21.pk3" can be singled out and fixed and then sent back to me without any other changes to the game, then I would be eternally grateful. If someone could help me accomplish this before I have a nervous breakdown over it, I would gladly pay you for your time if its needed. I would ask BLOODWOLF but getting ahold of him is difficult enough and I'm sure he's busy.
Winifred Cladgehere

Return to Closed Bugs