[Fixed] Trying to serialize out-of-bounds array with key 'sector'

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Trying to serialize out-of-bounds array with key 'sector'

Postby Enjay » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:03 pm

Not sure if this is a mapping error, technical error or what. but I keep getting the following on a map that I have been messing around with.

Screenshot because for some reason a log file isn't capturing this error.

It is a map that is part of a hub and the error only happens when returning to the map. If you warp straight to the map it's fine, but if you leave by one of the exits and return, the above appears at the console (though gameplay seems to continue OK).

[edit: The hub thing is a red herring - it's loading the map from a save that is the issue (which is what returning from another map does of course). Simply warping to the map, saving and then loading will cause the errors. [/edit]

The map gets a clean bill of health from UDB.

Any ideas?
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Re: Trying to serialize out-of-bounds array with key 'sector

Postby Enjay » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:46 pm

Well, I pruned and pruned until I found the problem area. It's something to do with some sectors that I have linked to move as one as part of a lift.

This tiny cutout from the map should show the problem. Start the map, save a game, load the save and check the console. You should get the message. If you don't, reload the game again and the message will probably appear.

No idea I what I have done wrong here, I've used linked sectors loads of times before, but I must have messed up with this particular setup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Enjay

Postby Nash » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:15 am

It's another case of dangling pointers. In other words, it's an engine bug and this thread should be moved to bugs. :)
Nash

Github ID: nashmuhandes

Postby Enjay » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:42 am

Well, that would explain why I couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong. :) Last night I tried all sorts of mapping fixes but there is obviously something about this particular setup that triggers the problem. The only thing that could reliably stop the message appearing was not linking the sectors.

I suppose the good news is that it seems to be easily reproducible with this small example, so it might help in tracking things down. Like I said earlier, sometimes you have to load the save from the example map a couple of times before the issue is triggered but, sooner or later, it should happen.

Thanks for moving it _mental_.
Enjay

Postby _mental_ » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:10 am

_mental_

Return to Closed Bugs