[Not GZDoom] Game freezes as soon as a level attempts to load.

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Game freezes as soon as a level attempts to load.

Postby Nicholas Dattingnod » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:15 pm

So, firstly, this could be an issue with my files I suppose, however I don't recall having this issue in Windows (with the same files).

I compiled from source, latest release, Manjaro Linux.

For DOOM, or DOOM 2, as soon as I select my difficulty level (or a demo decides it wants to play), the game just freezes.
Can't even ^C the console to close it, I have to kill the process!

Here is the output after trying to start the game (all output before that appears normal): https://pastebin.com/FCn3zCnR

Interestingly, when I tried a mod (in the ipk3 format), it worked fine, I was able to load into the first level and everything seemed fine.
Tried a few others, and they seemed to work as well.

So, I think there's definitely some relation either to the files themselves, or just to something relating to the original WAD format that isn't working? Or I could be totally wrong. Most of the console output that I actually understand, seems related to audio, but there weren't any issues with audio, at least on the title screens.
Nicholas Dattingnod

Re: Game freezes as soon as a level attempts to load.

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:01 am

Since all these weird errors mention glib, my suspicion is that something is wrong with your FluidSynth version. There have been known issues with some distros shipping a broken version of it. So two options:

- Update to something more recent from elsewhere
- Change the MIDI synth - you can do that by starting the engine with '-nosound' and then switch to Timidity++.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Nicholas Dattingnod » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:23 am

Wow, loading with -nosound did the trick...

While I waited for the post to be approved, I went ahead and checked out the version on the Snap store. It doesn't have this issue. Although this may be normal since I think snaps won't use the packages on the system, they'll use their own or something? Kinda like a sandbox?

Not sure why Manjaro would have a bad fluidsynth package, but I suppose I could always try to compile it myself...

Either way, thanks.
Nicholas Dattingnod

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:10 am

Nicholas Dattingnod wrote:While I waited for the post to be approved, I went ahead and checked out the version on the Snap store. It doesn't have this issue. Although this may be normal since I think snaps won't use the packages on the system, they'll use their own or something? Kinda like a sandbox?

Yes, that's precisely what Snaps do - they contain all dependencies for that precise reason to avoid dependencies on system packages.

Nicholas Dattingnod wrote:Not sure why Manjaro would have a bad fluidsynth package, but I suppose I could always try to compile it myself...

Either way, thanks.

They probably just packaged that one broken version FluidSynth released and never updated it afterward.
Graf Zahl

Return to Closed Bugs