Weird menu scaling

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Player701

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Weird menu scaling

Post by Player701 »

Gez wrote:Would it be possible to detect if the menu is going to "stick out" of the window and use clean scaling in this case so as to keep everything on-screen?
Seconding this. Some PWADs have menu title graphics that don't fit on the screen entirely with the new scaling algorithm. Looks the same as OP's problem, but there is no custom menu involved. Example: Bloodstain:

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yes, that case can be detected, although it has to be said that the clean scaling gives no guarantees whatsoever about available screen space beyond the original 200 pixels.

These images are perfect examples of menus that were never properly tested on all available screen sizes.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Blue Shadow wrote:From what I understand, in a ListMenu, you want to add Size Clean to force clean scaling of the menu, or if you want to be mindful of whether the user wants the menu to be clean-scaled or not: Size OptClean.

That's just from looking at the source, though. I didn't do any testing, so I can't confirm.
Thanks for this. How do I restore the old behavior and make my menus not look like misaligned fucking garbage? "Size Unclean" doesn't seem to work.

Before (4.4.2):
[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/lSNkQN8[/imgur]

After (Oct 24 Devbuild):
[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/WGTOU4r[/imgur]
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Please check your use of expletives. That's annoying and won't get you any results.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Graf Zahl wrote:Please check your use of expletives. That's annoying and won't get you any results.
"You can't change it on the MENUDEF side and this won't change in the future, deal with it nerd" would have sufficed.

EDIT: To be slightly less firey, this change seems to be making more mods look worse than it makes look better, and should probably be opt-in by default instead of opt-out. At the least, there should be some MENUDEF controls for modders to ensure that their work doesn't get stretched if it was designed with square pixels in mind. Of course, you've made your mind up about this already, so I'm just wasting server database space with this post.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

Kinsie wrote:
Blue Shadow wrote:From what I understand, in a ListMenu, you want to add Size Clean to force clean scaling of the menu, or if you want to be mindful of whether the user wants the menu to be clean-scaled or not: Size OptClean.

That's just from looking at the source, though. I didn't do any testing, so I can't confirm.
Thanks for this. How do I restore the old behavior and make my menus not look like misaligned fucking garbage? "Size Unclean" doesn't seem to work.
[...]
If you had bothered to read the very first page of this thread, you'd know you simply have to add "Size Clean" to the ListMenu to revert to the old behaviour.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

phantombeta wrote:If you had bothered to read the very first page of this thread, you'd know you simply have to add "Size Clean" to the ListMenu to revert to the old behaviour.
In MENUDEF? I tried "Size Clean" (as mentioned in the post you quoted me quoting, if we're doing the italics thing) and "Size 320, 240", with and without my custom menu class (which draws the backdrop and hands the rest back to Super.Drawer() ), and nothing changed.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

Kinsie wrote:(as mentioned in the post you quoted me quoting, if we're doing the italics thing)
No, you did not. You said
How do I restore the old behavior and make my menus not look like misaligned fucking garbage? "Size Unclean" doesn't seem to work.
Which is pretty bloody different from "I tried putting in "Size Clean" and it didn't work."

Now, if putting in "Size Clean" does not work, then that is a bug and should be reported. In a new thread.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

phantombeta wrote:Now, if putting in "Size Clean" does not work, then that is a bug and should be reported. In a new thread.
Okay. Have fun.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

I realize this is a dev build thing, but is there an opt out or way to customize my INI so this goes away? I don't want to have to redownload mods and mess around in old mod's menu codes because of this.
Also, why? like literally no benefit can be gained by the new scaling as a player and modder that I can tell. I can see this is closed, but on an end user basis this doesn't help me at all. If there's some work around that i can auto load or ini fix, that's fine by me, I just want to avoid headaches on my end.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Why? Because this reinstates the original scaling and layout from the DOS version. And because it makes the scaling independent of screen size.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Alright, so you have your reasons, cool. What can I do (or anyone really) do to revert that change uniformly without digging into individual menu codes for mods?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

There's an option in Miscellaneous options to switch it off - of course only for menus that do not enforce the setting, so if some modder decides for this to be the only way to go, the switch won't do anything.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

good to know, thank you.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

What does all this mean for modders? Do people who make menus still have to use Clean[XY]fac and such? I never actually understood how those variables work and what their purpose in menu code is. I see they're used to scale down items drawn via Screen.Draw* but why it needs to be done is beyond me. Any explanation would be greatly appreciated. Might even be a discussion for a different thread.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”