[Fixed] Bigfont replacement + localization = missing characters

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Bigfont replacement + localization = missing characters

Postby Player701 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:52 am

Not sure if this happened before or if it's a known bug, but I've only discovered it now.

When a PWAD replaces the big font, weird things happen with menu titles (like "Options"). In GZDoom 4.4.2 they disappear entirely, while in recent development versions (like g4.5pre-230) some of the characters are missing. This looks extremely weird, so it's very likely a bug.

Example: Unholy Realms

I understand, of course, that the missing characters are not really "missing" per se because there are no Cyrillic characters in the replacement font. In this case, the proper behavior should be to display the title in the original font instead.
Player701

Discord: Player701#8214
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Bigfont replacement + localization = missing characters

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:24 am

Unlike for the small font there is no fallback installed for the BigFont - the reason being that this has to be done at the place where the DrawText function gets called which I simply cannot all fix
The recent change comes from mapping the characters with equivalents in the Latin alphabet to these to reduce the needed font work.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Bigfont replacement + localization = missing characters

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:10 am

Added a fallback for the menu.
For the statistics summary screen I chose not to do it. Normally this shouldn't be an issue because mods are supposed to provide a font that can display their content.
The case where some gameplay mods replace all graphical content including the fonts and then run with the stock levels is something that is out of scope. Such mods will have to be played with English text if they don't bother providing a somewhat complete font.
Graf Zahl

Return to Closed Bugs