Grating Noise on Macbook Air

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Zemakat
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Grating Noise on Macbook Air

Post by Zemakat »

So, this has happened a few times. I assumed it was something else with my headphone wires, but it turns out to be a glitch occuring from some sound files themselves.

Basically, there is a low, jarring and loud buzz when some sounds play. I believe, at this moment, that this happens with Ogg Vorbis sounds. This doesn't happen every time, but it's happened periodically.

I am using macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6.
Last edited by Zemakat on Tue May 19, 2020 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Grating Noise on Macbook Air

Post by Rachael »

We will need a sample of the sounds in question.
Zemakat

Post by Zemakat »

Rachael wrote:We will need a sample of the sounds in question.
I believe that this happens with any and all Ogg Vorbis format sounds, rather than certain ones in specific mods.

(On that note, I'm not sure how to post "sound samples" on the forums. I've never done that before.)
mjr4077au
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by mjr4077au »

Can you play those same vorbis files back through a media player on the same device without an issue?
Zemakat

Post by Zemakat »

mjr4077au wrote:Can you play those same vorbis files back through a media player on the same device without an issue?
The files work just fine, both played through SLADE 3 or on Firefox.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

A recording of the sound would be helpful. It would also help to know if the noise happens when playing specific sounds (and the noise happening in the same way with those sounds), or if it's more general and happens whenever it gets loud with any sounds. Can you point out specific mods that it happens with?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Have you tried changing the sound options in the GZDoom preferences (e.g. checking that the the sound channels option is high enough)?
Zemakat

Post by Zemakat »

To Chris: I believe now that this doesn't simply randomly occur with Ogg Vorbis sounds. I have a theory that this happens with certain "crusty" sounding ones, or with overloads of them. For example...

It happened when I had the flamethrower equipped in Cosmobyte's Nightshift mod with the idle sound looping. Another was using the Chainsaw on dirt surfaces in Brutal Doom v21 (Monsters Only).

To Enjay: After this, I set my sound channel amount to 256. However, it still has happened. (It's probably less severe than previously, however. I haven't tried it with headphones... and I am too scared to do so, out of fear for my eardrums.)
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

Remaker wrote:To Chris: I believe now that this doesn't simply randomly occur with Ogg Vorbis sounds. I have a theory that this happens with certain "crusty" sounding ones, or with overloads of them. For example...

It happened when I had the flamethrower equipped in Cosmobyte's Nightshift mod with the idle sound looping. Another was using the Chainsaw on dirt surfaces in Brutal Doom v21 (Monsters Only).

To Enjay: After this, I set my sound channel amount to 256. However, it still has happened. (It's probably less severe than previously, however. I haven't tried it with headphones... and I am too scared to do so, out of fear for my eardrums.)
Again, this has been said a few times, but please, provide a recording/sample of the noise. We need to have a reference point before we can go into any specifics.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

If there is anything i can fix on my end, i would love to be of any help.
Zemakat

Post by Zemakat »

I have it recorded, but it has been deemed too large to upload from Mediafire (3.27 MB).
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

Remaker wrote:I have it recorded, but it has been deemed too large to upload from Mediafire (3.27 MB).
:shock: :? :shock: :?: Mediafire can host a 3.27 MB file.

What error is Mediafire giving?
And if its not Mediafire, what is exactly causing you to think its too large? Mediafire hosts files an order of magnitude larger than that.
Zemakat

Post by Zemakat »

Redneckerz wrote:
Remaker wrote:I have it recorded, but it has been deemed too large to upload from Mediafire (3.27 MB).

And if its not Mediafire, what is exactly causing you to think its too large? Mediafire hosts files an order of magnitude larger than that.
Error 413, "Request Entity Too Large".
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

Remaker wrote:
Redneckerz wrote:

Error 413, "Request Entity Too Large".
Are you actually trying to upload to Mediafire or are you trying to upload the file as an attachment here?

Because a quick google on that specific error and mediafire gives me no instant hits, but it does give me a lot of hits regarding forum related uploads.

Please upload the file on Mediafire and copy the link it makes after uploading here.
Zemakat

Post by Zemakat »

Here it is! Thanks for the support!

Before anyone watches it, I recommend you to turn down your volume.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/e0xf5kxje ... e.mp4/file

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”