[Fixed] [c1bb7de23] BFG IWADs don't load if 1.9 IWAD is in $PROGDIR

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Re: [c1bb7de23] BFG IWADs don't load if 1.9 IWAD is in $PROG

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:34 am

Of course it's something simple and stupid. The really strange and time consuming bugs always are. Friday at work I had to fix 3 bugs which took almost the entire day - all 3 were one-liners.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:25 pm

Guess what? It was a one-liner. For reading the map the wrong file was opened because the code used a short file name without path to open the file which failed if there were more than one file with the given name in the search list.
Graf Zahl

Postby mjr4077au » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:32 pm

Haha no surprises there! Will test things out when it's pushed to master or when I get home from work tonight :)
mjr4077au

Discord: mjr4077au#1027
Github ID: mjr4077au
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:42 pm

I think I'll do a hotfix release tomorrow evening, there have been quite a few fixed bugs that aren't really harmless.
Graf Zahl

Postby mjr4077au » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:18 pm

Sounds like a good move for these smaller issues that have cropped up. To be honest given the significant amount of backend changes, the issues have been fairly minor which is great :)
mjr4077au

Postby Rachael » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:45 pm

Well - GZDoom unfortunately suffers from a necessary evil of a lot of software with xx.xx.0 releases - people have to have an actual release version in-hand in order to realize that there is a bug.

The Dev builds were actually very much intended to make sure that this isn't the norm, but they seem to only do so much. We can and do encourage people to use dev builds whenever possible because the more people who test these things the more likely they will be fixed before a release such as this. Even so there may never come a day when a .0 release is the last and only minor version in any given major version series.

To that end I've been a proponent of releasing Linux dev builds especially since Linux seems to be growing in popularity and not everyone likes using compilers (even though it's magnitudes easier to use one in Linux than in Windows) - but that has not seemed to catch on with the people who really would make a difference with it.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle

Postby mjr4077au » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:36 pm

Since Raze has come about, I've been getting more into the developmental side of larger projects than I have in the past. Until Raze was released, I'd never even installed MSVC yet alone done anything in C/C++ and my only compiling experience was with PKGBUILDs under Arch Linux where the grunt work has been done for me.

For newer people, how does one find a devbuild? I know I can get them from drdteam.org but they're not mentioned on the home page's Downloads at all, only the release builds are. Perhaps they need a little more advertising? I think the other thing is the branch that bought substantial changes was only merged into master ~2 weeks ago. That's not heaps of exposure to people relying on the devbuilds, but not building themselves.

Because the project uses CMake and holds all the necessary dependencies in its repo, I've found building on Windows to be just as easy as Linux to that end. Maybe I can work with Redneckerz on updating the Wiki for GZDoon compiling on Windows. The only article is for ZDoom, is horribly out of date and Windows users would surely appreciate some screenshots to make it more of a complete manual. I'd probably shit-can the mingw stuff since it's not well supported by Graf. I experimented by compiling Raze in a mingw environment and it was a battle, lots of missing includes etc.
mjr4077au

Postby Rachael » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:14 pm

You're right - dev builds should be advertised on the downloads page.
Rachael
Webmaster

Postby mjr4077au » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:17 pm

After saying that, I looked again and saw that there's a link on the top right corner but I missed it at first and I'm sure others are missing it (despite it now being glaringly obvious)

EDIT: I just want to contribute! :p
ohno.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mjr4077au

Postby Rachael » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:26 pm

I'll make you an account. Meantime, I did this, though it should probably be double-checked by Wiki maintainers.
Rachael
Webmaster

Postby mjr4077au » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:29 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a Wiki as a content management system before, that's kind of neat!

I think it looks good though :). I was going to suggest something similar or consider dropping ZDoom and putting a link to drdteam.org in its place. I suggest that with no disrespect to Randi or ZDoom's legacy, but its nearly half a decade old now and would be close to put it out to pasture.
mjr4077au

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:11 am

I think the devbuilds' visibility is good enough. Considering the massive amount of refactoring we got sufficient feedback to deal with most issues before the release, the ones that slipped through were mostly minor or rare edge cases.

But I definitely don't want to go back to ZDoom times when devbuilds were all that existed for modding, often resulting in broken features making it into the engine permanently because everybody used them before they were ready.
Graf Zahl

Previous

Return to Closed Bugs