PICKUP_PISTOL_DROPPED error

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.

PICKUP_PISTOL_DROPPED error

Post by Guest »

Upon picking up a pistol, the message "PICKUP_PISTOL_DROPPED" is printed, instead of "Picked up a pistol."
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: PICKUP_PISTOL_DROPPED error

Post by Graf Zahl »

Works for me. I get the correct text.

Post by Guest »

Just tried again with 4.3.1 and it's still happening to me.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Flynn Worthingford wrote:Just tried again with 4.3.1 and it's still happening to me.
What is your language set to? When you installed 4.3.1, did you also update gzdoom.pk3?

Post by Guest »

Language is set to Auto, and system language is English US. I'm using the gzdoom.pk3 included with the download file for GZDoom 4.3.1.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Don't hate me, but...

I'm not getting this, either.

Did you update your game_support.pk3 file? The release was compiled completely from scratch and I just confirmed the presence of game_support.pk3 in the archive.

Post by Guest »

Yes, I copied and pasted every file in the download zip, replacing any previous files.
And to save a step, in case anyone was going to ask, this was tested with a fresh .ini as well. A clean install. I also used -noautoload just on the off chance of something external being loaded.

Post by Guest »

I have a correction to make to that last statement: there was an external file being loaded, after all. And said external file contains a LANGUAGE lump which defines a string for PICKUP_PISTOL_DROPPED in Italian (no other languages).

Removing this file stops the error, even though the [enu] definition of PICKUP_PISTOL_DROPPED was never touched.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Can you direct us to this external file? Because while my GZDoom install is still somewhat old (4.2.4), a cursory search through the language.csv file in game_support.pk3 does not show me any strings called "pickup_pistol_dropped".

Post by Guest »

The external file was of my own creation, and it being loaded was my own fault. However, I don't see how this file *should* be causing this issue, and it indeed only started happening recently.

To reproduce this issue, you only need a language lump like the following:

[enu default]
PICKUP_MINIGUN = "You got the minigun!";

[ita]
PICKUP_PISTOL_DROPPED = "Hai trovato una pistola.";

...with a single string under [enu default] (doesn't matter what it is), and then the string in question under some other language.

For reference, wildweasel, gzdoom.pk3's language.csv is where the engine's PICKUP_PISTOL_DROPPED string can be found.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I am not 100% sure, but I believe that there is still a bug here. I don't think it should be clearing the English string if there's an entry for Italian for that same string.

I am reopening this.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Fixed in 83f46c4.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”