[DEV 10/16/2019] [4.2.1] ZFighting [Graphics BUG]

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

[DEV 10/16/2019] [4.2.1] ZFighting [Graphics BUG]

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

Zfighting occurs with X/Y sprite billboard in swimmable 3d sectors
see video below

Shotgun and barrel sprites clip through eachother and Zfight terribly
the effect becomes even more horrendous when ChaseCam is enabled

The following map is designed to aggravate this ZFighting by placing actors on all sides of the player and making multiple sectors that share the same 3d floor with minor variations in height in some sectors.
The purpose is to showcase the bad behavior.

X/Y Sprite billboard MUST BE ENABLED to produce the bad behavior.

ZFighting Showcase

This is an extremely irritating problem that has bothered me for a long time and my previous post regarding it was never answered. If there's any more information you require to help deal with this glitchy behavior, please let me know.

This was tested using GZDoom 4.2.1 and the Dev version here: https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/gz ... 5e8b32d.7z
Enjay

Re: [DEV 10/16/2019] [4.2.1] ZFighting [Graphics BUG]

Post by Enjay »

Forcing XY billboarding on everything has several problems associated with it. I suspect this is just another one. X/Y billboarding is really only useful for things like bright projectile sprites.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: [DEV 10/16/2019] [4.2.1] ZFighting [Graphics BUG]

Post by Graf Zahl »

This is essentially not fixable because XY billboarding makes sprite sorting with 3D floors close to impossible.
With X-billboarded sprites I can just split them up when necessary - with XY-billboarding that isn't doable and occasionally that badly orders the sectors the sprites are in and then things like this happen. The entire feature was forced upon GZDoom from the outside (it was invented by Skulltag) by people who never fully thought it through. I would have never added it myself.
It only works correctly in maps with no translucent 3D floors.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”