[GZDoom 4.1.2] Vulkan Crashes "AMD 400/500 Series"

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
MasterBeavis
Preferred Pronouns: Ask Me
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

[GZDoom 4.1.2] Vulkan Crashes "AMD 400/500 Series"

Post by MasterBeavis »

Vulkan still crashes when performing actions or after loading in a new map they are random but happen mostly in these cases
Attachments
CrashReport.zip
(43.34 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Last edited by MasterBeavis on Fri May 17, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dpJudas

Re: [GZDoom 4.1.2] Vulkan Crashes

Post by dpJudas »

Which card are you using? Bit surprised to see the vulkan driver report itself as "Unknown AMD GPU".
MasterBeavis

Post by MasterBeavis »

GIGABYTE RX 480 4GB
Intel i5-6402p 2x4GB DDR4
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Uhm, the startup log says its an AMD discrete GPU, not an Intel integrated one. Do you have an AMD GPU in the computer?
MasterBeavis

Post by MasterBeavis »

yea its not integrated its the AMD RX 480 4GB GPU i just listed my CPU for reference lol
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Something weird is going on with your vulkan driver. I'm not familiar enough with AMD to say for sure how old your driver is, but the driver itself doesn't seem to be able to tell GZDoom the name of your card (very weird) and vulkan.gpuinfo.org only lists RX Vega and RX 580 Series for that driver version.

Please try download the very latest (seems to be a new one just a few days old) and see if the problem persists.
MasterBeavis

Post by MasterBeavis »

I did that about 2days ago used DDU and freshly installed the driver. using Adrenalin 19.5.1
Spoiler:
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Try the second newest then. :) The driver really isn't supposed to say Unknown AMD GPU. The gpuinfo.org database only has one entry for a GPU reporting itself like this and it was an ancient driver on opensuse. Maybe someone more familiar with AMD can give some input here on what could be causing the driver to malfunction like this.
MasterBeavis

Post by MasterBeavis »

This same crash was happening on the last Driver 19.4.1 aswell so idk what to tell ya
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

The thing is, I don't know if the driver not knowing its own card is the cause of the bug (driver malfunction) or just some simple mistake (in the driver).

I need reports from other AMD RX 480 owners to know if this is a local problem on your computer or a general problem. So if anyone reads this that own such a card, please report in if you're experiencing crashes as described here, and also what name GZDoom writes for your card.
MasterBeavis

Post by MasterBeavis »

Heres another Crash while playing Doom 4 Doom. just incase this crash is diff

EDIT. Uploaded a Crash from just playing Vanilla Doom 1 with the Unofficial Heavy Metal Soundtrack Mod. titled DOOM.zip
Attachments
DOOM.zip
(39.15 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
CrashReport.zip
(54.23 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

The crash is inside vkCmdBindPipeline inlined from VkPPRenderState::RenderScreenQuad() function.

GZDoom doesn't crash for me on RX Vega with the same drivers. However, I've got the following validation errors. Usually, this happens after saving a game for the second time.
Spoiler: Validation layers output
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Pushed a fix for the validation errors. No idea if that explains the crash here though.

I remain skeptical of the sanity of a system where the driver doesn't even know the name of its own card. I still need confirmation from another RX 480 owner that those crashes are normal for this card and that it is expected behavior of this driver to write Unknown AMD card for this model.
MasterBeavis

Post by MasterBeavis »

is there anything i can do to give more info to yall?
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

You can try the next nightly build and see if it fixes the crash. Other than that there's not so much you can do right now.

I'm currently trying to determine which computers and cards are affected as I need to find a pattern in why it crashes on your computer and not on mine (and seemingly not on _mental_'s RX Vega either). It could be an issue with your hardware, or the OS/driver fucked something up on your system, or it could be just that series that triggers a bug in GZDoom's vulkan implementation. All the options are on the table right now and I need to rule out some of them before figuring out what to do next.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”