[4.1.0+] WW-Cola3 automap HUD has broken

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

[4.1.0+] WW-Cola3 automap HUD has broken

Post by wildweasel »

Before (dev build g3.8pre-744-g4b40e266f, 4.0.0):

After (release build 4.1.0 and 4.1.1):

Something's changed with how ZScript HUD scaling works, which has broken what I was doing with the automap HUD in WW-Cola3. I had designed the HUD to anchor the fruit bonuses in the top left (beneath the map stats), the keys in the top right (under the timer), and the weapons arranged in a centered line along the bottom. However, now they are being interpreted in...I have no idea what sort of way, I can't make any sense of it. The relevant code is found in ww-cola3.pk3/zscript/colahud.txt, and as indicated in the figures above, worked until a recent release build. I am unsure if this is a GZDoom bug or if I'm just Doing It Wrong(tm), so feel free to advise and/or berate me accordingly.

Same results with a brand new INI file, and adjusting the scaling settings only succeeds in pushing the HUD elements off of the screen.

[edit] Moved this from Scripting to Bugs, as I'm all but certain GZDoom itself has changed in a way that breaks this.
wildweasel

Re: [4.1.0+] WW-Cola3 automap HUD has broken

Post by wildweasel »

Update: This effect occurs because I've managed to omit BeginHUD from the section of code that executes if the auto map is active. While I'll certainly be fixing that on my end (by moving BeginHUD above said statement), what puzzles me is why this worked before, what changed, and if it affects any other mods.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

This looks like the second screenshot uses status bar positioning, not HUD positioning.

The main difference that happened is that the base automap drawer had to be moved back to native code to properly deal with font scaling - I didn't want to export some very sensitive parts of the 2D drawer to scripting due to high risk of bad use that could block later refactorings. Apparently as a consequence it doesn't call BeginHUD in the internal code anymore which it previously did.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

That makes sense, then. I'll make sure things are fixed on my end and make a note for the future, and this can be closed.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Should this be closed as [Not a bug]?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

It should have been closed as user error back in May, as the issue was entirely my fault and had since been fixed on my end.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”