[4.0.0] Light penetrates through lifts

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: [4.0.0] Light penetrates through lifts

Post by Rachael »

There's no reason an 850m should be horribly slow. That's probably getting CPU-locked, there, which isn't surprising because mobile CPU's are utter shit. This can happen even despite the GPU being fairly decent.

I'm betting the 960 is in a desktop rig that has a much bigger CPU that's able to handle all the effects thrown at it. That makes a huge difference with mods like Brutal Doom.
Elias79

Post by Elias79 »

Rachael wrote:There's no reason an 850m should be horribly slow. That's probably getting CPU-locked, there, which isn't surprising because mobile CPU's are utter shit. This can happen even despite the GPU being fairly decent.
I'm betting the 960 is in a desktop rig that has a much bigger CPU that's able to handle all the effects thrown at it. That makes a huge difference with mods like Brutal Doom.
Ok then the only possible reason i can think of is that the CPU gets much more to do under certain conditions when using Open GL and not that the Graphics card does much more at all but the "sync" between them takes extra time, i absolutely does not know any of this but i cant think of another explanation in my case, and thanks for the replies you saved me buying a new GPU just to play doom better.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

That's pretty much what it boils down to. And you're welcome.
axredneck
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by axredneck »

For me OpenGL is much slower than Softpoly or Vulkan on any wad. AMD FX-6300, Geforce GTX 1050, linux. Waiting for Vulkan to stabilize, now it has major bugs.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

axredneck wrote:For me OpenGL is much slower than Softpoly or Vulkan on any wad. AMD FX-6300, Geforce GTX 1050, linux.
Are you using proprietary NVIDIA drivers? Performance should be mostly equal to Windows on the same PC.
If you are using Nouveau, well, good luck then.
axredneck wrote:Waiting for Vulkan to stabilize, now it has major bugs.
Did you report them? I don’t see any though. There are two opened issues at the moment.
However, they seem to be specific to particular settings and hardware configuration.
“Major bugs” term is not only an exaggeration, it’s just a deception.
axredneck
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by axredneck »

_mental_ wrote:...Are you using proprietary NVIDIA drivers?...
...Did you report them?...
Proprietary of course, nouveau doesn't have Vulkan.
I'll try to report Vulkan bug.
edit: tried to reproduce "major" Vulkan bug but it disappeared. If it will appear again i'll report it.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

axredneck wrote:
_mental_ wrote:...Are you using proprietary NVIDIA drivers?...
Proprietary of course, nouveau doesn't have Vulkan.
Sure it doesn’t. This was my reply on your post about bad performance with OpenGL.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”