GZDoom post-3.7.2 rendering flaw on an AMD card

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.

GZDoom post-3.7.2 rendering flaw on an AMD card

Post by Guest »

I hate to post on a forum just for a bug, especially one I feel like I can't provide much useful info for, but dev versions somewhere past the 3.7.2 release have been rendering in grayscale unless I put on interleaved/checkerboard 3D settings. This is probably just another AMD driver thing and while you probably can't do much about it I thought I'd at least post it just in case I'm not the only one. The card in question is an RX580, probably not great but it's what I have; I am also still fortunate enough to be running Windows 7, though I suppose that's going to be a strike against me as well if it gets worse updates. Yes, I updated my graphics card driver first because I expected that to be the problem again, yes I checked the tonemap setting (if there had been a grayscale I'm sure it would have worked fine), yes I tried using the software renderer (and even the Vulkan renderer on the 4.0 build!), no, I don't remember exactly which GZDoom version it started being a problem with but without access to more builds than just up to a month ago or the release, I can't really check offhand since I didn't exactly stockpile devbuilds and realized I had upgraded without a backup of the last valid devbuild like a fool. No settings visible to me seem to be changing between versions though I might have missed something; however, I wouldn't have thought of the 3D settings and really just bruteforced it trying all the rendering setting changes I could to try and generate a possible offender. The 3D settings work normally on the 3.7.2 release, since the color is fine there. For what little it's worth, the Softpoly renderer doesn't seem to produce color on devbuilds through this way (and the Vulkan renderer too I suppose but hey that's too new to be real useful). As a last note, if windowed or switched away from while fullscreen, the desktop environment does not also lose color (though I guess that's expected but I'm just trying to be exhaustive in lieu of more useful information and/or screenshots).

Just to be clear, I wouldn't have posted if GZDoom wasn't so good to me otherwise. Furthermore, it's been a driver thing historically so if your hands are tied I'll understand. Heck, when I first unpacked the graphics card the driver was so shitty that it wouldn't *render sprites* until I rolled it back about two versions. But on the off chance that there is something you can accomplish, I might as well make note.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: GZDoom post-3.7.2 rendering flaw on an AMD card

Post by wildweasel »

I think this has come up before as a side effect of carrying forward an old .ini file - check the value of vid_saturation, and if it is not 1.0, set it to that in the console.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: GZDoom post-3.7.2 rendering flaw on an AMD card

Post by Rachael »

wildweasel wrote:I think this has come up before as a side effect of carrying forward an old .ini file - check the value of vid_saturation, and if it is not 1.0, set it to that in the console.
^ Pretty much this ^

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”