[Fixed] Some Bugzzz..

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Re: Some Bugzzz..

Postby Doom » Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:34 pm

HotWax wrote:
Doom wrote:
HotWax wrote:
Doom wrote:Did I say it crashed when shooting the pistol?, nope, it just that having chasecam enabled as a morphed being, makes it trigger the dying frames for the doom guy if shotgun is used. However, an explanation for that was already given, but it would be a nice fix if Zdoom stopped you from playing as a corpse by not allowing chasecam when playing in morphme mode if the proper pwads, deh's or anything containing the chicken-pig frames, aren't loaded within.

How about >>:!:YOU:!:<< just don't use the cheat unless you've loaded the proper resources?

What about reading better?

What about getting the point straight without distorting it?. That corpse playing shouldn't happen, it's wrong and needs to be fixed, even though it won't do any damage if left the way it's now. Example: Non-updated Zdoom demos are NOT allowed to play and why?, because they would go out of sync badly which would make them look "incorrect" just as the living corpse bug so the "not allowed to" shall apply to this. Got it?.
Doom
Give me 80's metal or give me death

Postby Ultraviolet » Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:29 am

They wouldn't go out of sync so much as the program would just crash. The instructions are different. A Doom-engine demo is, after all, a list of player-movement instructions. This works because the monster AI is so simple that you can record these things and be relatively sure that it'll play back the same way every time. Now, the damage randomization system, though, makes things a little less trustworthy. Still, the odds are low.

Anyway, ZDoom has a few more instructions that can be used for player movement, along with variables like friction, gravity, and so on, so the instruction system is completely incompatible.

EDIT: Also, the scope on any rifle, if you put the barrel right up to a wall, even holding it at cheek-level, will not be looking right at where the bullet will go in. You'd only really be able to tell if the rifle has absolutely no kick and your arm was extremely steady, but it follows that since you aren't looking through the barrel (cuz' how the hell would that work?), what you ARE looking through isn't 100% accurate.
Ultraviolet
AKA "Faint"

Postby HotWax » Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:49 am

Some dumbass wrote:What about getting the point straight without distorting it?. That corpse playing shouldn't happen, it's wrong and needs to be fixed, even though it won't do any damage if left the way it's now. Example: Non-updated Zdoom demos are NOT allowed to play and why?, because they would go out of sync badly which would make them look "incorrect" just as the living corpse bug so the "not allowed to" shall apply to this. Got it?.

ZDoom allows you to summon weapons, items, and monsters you don't have the appropriate graphics or sounds for, creating an invisible, silent item (or worse, one that uses improper resources and looks/sounds like something else!!) that can really mess up the game. Should ZDoom check to make sure the player isn't being a dumbass and has included all the required resources before accepting their summon command?

ZDoom allows you to load PWADs made for a different game, which may replace some resources (textures, sounds, sprites) without properly replacing others (notably, levels), which might confuse people. Should ZDoom refuse to load a PWAD that wasn't designed to be used with the currently loaded IWAD?

Exactly where does your madness end? How much n00b-friendly code does Randy need to put into the program to satisfy your anal needs? How hard is it, honestly, for you to resist the urge to go into 3rd-person camera mode while using a cheat that is not supported by and was never intended to be used in the game you are playing? Is that really so much to ask?
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Enjay » Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:17 am

OK, I'm not really sure where the morphme command is supposed to work, but here's what I found when using it with chasecam (in addition to the stuff already reported):

In Hexen, I turned into a pig, and ran around biting enemies no problem.

In Heretic, I turned into a chicken, but as soon as I moved, I started using the player sprites again - although I was throwing feathers around.

In Doom (with pig sprites loaded) I turned into a pig, but again as soon as I moved I started using the player sprites.

If morphme isn't intended for use outside Hexen, then I don't really see this as a problem - other than perhaps the fix might be to disable it in games other than Hexen. But, quite frankly, if you can't restrain yourself from using commands that weren't meant to be used in your currnet game mode then it's your look-out IMO. There are plenty of ways to "upset" the game by doing inappropriate things. This just sounds like one of them.

Something else I noticed - in Doom - and maybe the other games will be the same - when I was morphed I could not cross monster blocking lines. Easy to check on Doom2 map01 where the bottom triangular step in front of the player start is monster blocking. Is this intended and correct?

If that is something that needs to be changed - is it possible to make it so that chickens and pigs that are spawned via scripting still obey the monsterblock flag and do not cross? The reason is I have used quite a lot of them and keep them in their enclosures using monster blocking lines that allow the player through to carry out some chicken carnage. :)
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Doom » Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:13 am

This subject was already closed, indeed, it switched from Bug to Closed Bug, if you didn't realize, but I just wanted to leave clear that nothing crashes when shooting the pistol, kind of quote by Hirogen, but you came back showing up a new load of nonsense, fuck knows why.

Zdoom won't allow you to do something without the proper setup so why should my point be the excepcion?. Now it's up to Randy, I based my statements and expect nothing from them since there's certainly tons of other stuff that should be fixed before this optional flaw. This ain't madness, your continuous pursuit of attention is.

Just one more thing, don't get me wrong, but get a life or a dick, whatever that fits better your needs and do always remember: there's a nice world outwards, this board is cool but getting it that serious will make u catch stomach cancer.

Vi ses.
Doom

Postby Doom » Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:15 am

Enjay wrote:using monster blocking lines that allow the player through to carry out some chicken carnage

That would be pretty interesting to try!.
Doom

Postby Ultraviolet » Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:32 am

doom ur a fag lol kthx
Ultraviolet
AKA "Faint"

Postby HotWax » Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:12 pm

Doom wrote:Just one more thing, don't get me wrong, but get a life or a dick, whatever that fits better your needs...

That line alone shows your age and maturity level. There's nothing more I need to say to you.

As far as Enjay's observation about morphme not working even with the proper resources, that might be something that needs to be looked into, perhaps. It doesn't really seem like a big deal to me (who really wants to turn themselves into a farm animal!?) but it also seems kinda silly for things not to work when the proper resources are loaded. Randy's call, I guess.

Also, you CAN be turned into a chicken in multiplayer Heretic. Does the same problem crop up there? If so, that would seem to be a definite bug.
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Enjay » Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:49 pm

HotWax wrote:Also, you CAN be turned into a chicken in multiplayer Heretic. Does the same problem crop up there? If so, that would seem to be a definite bug.

Just tried with bots - and there is a problem.

I used the morph ovum on some bots. They momentarily appeared as chickens, and then went back to using the player sprites, despite clucking away like, well, like chickens. Just like the player had done with morphme in chasecam mode.

More than that, I noticed some other problems...

When the chickens started (incorrectly) using the player sprites, they appeared as player sprites in the default (untranslated) colour. Probably intentional as the chickens shouldn't be translated (although that could be cool). When they reverted back to human (elf) players, they also regained their colour as expected.

When bots were killed in chicken mode, their last death frame stopped at PLAYL0 - which looked odd in itself. Even worse, the frame was using some sort of colour translation to make it a bluey grey kind of colour (maybe the ice trnslation?).

For information, monsters that had been morph ovumed behaved exactly as they should as far as I could tell.

Edit: Hmmm, thought: for all those people who want ducking - purely to get under stuff - not for the heat of battle, how about binding a key to morphme?
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Doom » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:11 pm

HotWax wrote:That line alone shows your age and maturity level. There's nothing more I need to say to you.

Do these babies show any maturity?: "Some dumbass wrote" & "to satisfy your anal needs?", nope, they could be widely rated as "pissed 4th grader syndrome" but it doesn't matter and hope you can stand for your word and stop yelling humbugs.
Doom

Previous

Return to Closed Bugs