[Fixed] Some Bugzzz..

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
HotWax

Re: Some Bugzzz..

Post by HotWax »

Doom wrote:1- If you open the console without starting/loading a game, it won't close again.
This isn't a bug it's a feature. If the console is opened from the title screen, it fully replaces the screen and gives you a full view of the console. Useful if something is going wrong on startup and you want to see any errors. Obviously it's a matter of preference whether you should be able to close it, but the bottom line is Randy's preference is the one that gets put in the official releases. If you just can't stand it, download the source and change it.
2- While in chasecam mode, you can notice that "our hero" will keep walking even when you already stopped moving. This only happens for about 1.5 secs.
The fact that Legacy doesn't do this means they chose to change Doom's behavior to accomadate a feature hardly anyone uses, and that's their perogative I guess. When you're playing multiplayer and someone stops, it takes them a second to stop moving as well. It just looks bad in chasecam, but to fix it you'd have to change the way the animation works on the player.
3- Weapons don't aim properly. Bullet holes do always appear a bit lower than the crosshair points.
How many times do I need to keep clearing this up? Doom does NOT fire like newer FPS games, because they didn't have a crosshair to worry about. The bullet comes FROM THE BARREL OF THE GUN, i.e. a lot lower than the middle of the screen. It then progresses forward at a slight upward angle, getting closer and closer to the middle of the screen until it hits something. Because of this, at extremely close range it will actually hit lower than the middle of the screen. At anything higher than a few feet, the crosshair is as close to accurate as makes no difference. If you're using it to snipe, it's 100% accurate for all intents and purposes. If you don't like seeing your bullet puff hit low when you're standing nose-to-nose with your target, turn off the crosshair.

If "every other port's" crosshair is accurate, either their crosshair moves up and down to accomodate Doom's bullet trajectory, or they changed that trajectory.
4- When you win Doom 2, Plutonia or TNT, you get to that scene where you can kill the monsters of the game plus yourself. When you kill yourself, the "arrgghhhhhh" sound won't play. This sound prob does apply to some external stuff such as marine.deh.
This is most likely a bug.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

HotWax wrote:How many times do I need to keep clearing this up? ...
"Read before you leap er.. post" it has been said already.
If "every other port's" crosshair is accurate, either their crosshair moves up and down to accomodate Doom's bullet trajectory, or they changed that trajectory.
Sounds like that goes for a compat option :)
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Doom wrote:1- If you open the console without starting/loading a game, it won't close again.
This is by design.
2- While in chasecam mode, you can notice that "our hero" will keep walking even when you already stopped moving. This only happens for about 1.5 secs.
This is because the running animation doesn't stop until you are truly stopped. It will continue to play if you have any momentum, even if that is near 0.
3- Weapons don't aim properly. Bullet holes do always appear a bit lower than the crosshair points.
Weapons do aim properly. In Doom, you shoot near your waist, but the crosshair is at your eye level. The projectile's path and the imaginary line traced by the crosshair are parallel to each other, so at any reasonable distance, the difference between the two is so negligible as to be unimportant. You have to be standing next to a wall before it becomes noticable. Why should I "fix" something that is only an issue when you're standing right next to your target and can't possibly miss it?
4- When you win Doom 2, Plutonia or TNT, you get to that scene where you can kill the monsters of the game plus yourself. When you kill yourself, the "arrgghhhhhh" sound won't play. This sound prob does apply to some external stuff such as marine.deh.
Did it ever play?
5- Berserk's puch sound doesn't play.
It doesn't have a punch sound. The only difference between the normal fist and the berserk fist is that the beserk fist is much, much stronger.
6- When you try the "morphme" command in console, your height reduces but when you enable chasecam and shoot something, you kill yourself!, even though you can still play as a corpse. That's fun anyways!.
Don't morph yourself in Doom unless you provide all the appropriate graphics for the pig.
Last edited by randi on Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

randy wrote:2- This is because the running animation doesn't stop until you are truly stopped. It will continue to play if you have any momentum, even if that is near 0.
Physics win.
3-Why should I "fix" something that is only an issue when you're standing right next to your target and can't possibly miss it?
lol
4- Did it ever play?
Doom, in this thread wrote: Doom 95 does play it, Doom Legacy does it as well. I can't remember if any other port can handle it, but those I named do it for sure, so if the sound takes part of the iwad, it can be played somehow
5- It doesn't have a punch sound. The only difference between the normal fist and the berserk fist is that the beserk fist is much, much stronger.
What? The "usual" punch also doesnot sound? But I remember hearing the DSPUNCH sounds (was that lump called that?) when beating imps and stuff.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

randy wrote:Did it ever play?
As I said above:
Enjay wrote:The "arrgghhhhhh" sound does actually play in vanilla Doom (just checked) but it hasn't played for ages in Zdoom (worked in 1.22). It has been mentioned on the boards before. I'll take a wild stab that it has something to do with Zdoom supporting different sounds for different player setups and it maybe got broke when the way player sounds were handled changed during the 1.23 betas???
I just double checked with Zdoom 1.22. Not only did it correctly play the normal death sound, when I loaded up my old 1.22 sound pack that provided Male, Female and Cyborg voices, 1.22 correctly played the death sound for whichever voice (gender) was selected in player setup.

I'm not bothered that it doesn't work in 2.0.47i, but it did used to work.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Hirogen2 wrote:
HotWax wrote:How many times do I need to keep clearing this up? ...
"Read before you leap er.. post" it has been said already.
Hey, Somebody Quoted me! How special! :)
Doom

Post by Doom »

Damn!, you're right, the berserk's sound doesn't exist. I suppose it's my cheap memory.
Biff

Post by Biff »

randy wrote:Weapons do aim properly. In Doom, you shoot near your waste....
Hahahahahaaa! I keep trying to blow that turd away but always miss...heh. (First ever spelling mistake by Randy?) :)
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

Waist?
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Doom wrote:4- When you win Doom 2, Plutonia or TNT, you get to that scene where you can kill the monsters of the game plus yourself. When you kill yourself, the "arrgghhhhhh" sound won't play.
Fixed for 2.0.48/2.1.0.
Doom wrote:6- When you try the "morphme" command in console, your height reduces but when you enable chasecam and shoot something, you kill yourself!, even though you can still play as a corpse.
Just tried it and it works fine, aside from being able to switch weapons in Doom.
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

Doom wrote:6- When you try the "morphme" command in console, your height reduces but when you enable chasecam and shoot something, you kill yourself!, even though you can still play as a corpse.
Works for me(tm). When I morphme and switch to chasecam, the player gets drawn, and if I shoot (w/pistol) nothing crashes.
Doom

Post by Doom »

Hirogen2 wrote:
Works for me(tm). When I morphme and switch to chasecam, the player gets drawn, and if I shoot (w/pistol) nothing crashes.
Did I say it crashed when shooting the pistol?, nope, it just that having chasecam enabled as a morphed being, makes it trigger the dying frames for the doom guy if shotgun is used. However, an explanation for that was already given, but it would be a nice fix if Zdoom stopped you from playing as a corpse by not allowing chasecam when playing in morphme mode if the proper pwads, deh's or anything containing the chicken-pig frames, aren't loaded within.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Doom wrote:Did I say it crashed when shooting the pistol?, nope, it just that having chasecam enabled as a morphed being, makes it trigger the dying frames for the doom guy if shotgun is used. However, an explanation for that was already given, but it would be a nice fix if Zdoom stopped you from playing as a corpse by not allowing chasecam when playing in morphme mode if the proper pwads, deh's or anything containing the chicken-pig frames, aren't loaded within.
How about you just don't use the cheat unless you've loaded the proper resources?
Doom

Post by Doom »

HotWax wrote:
Doom wrote:Did I say it crashed when shooting the pistol?, nope, it just that having chasecam enabled as a morphed being, makes it trigger the dying frames for the doom guy if shotgun is used. However, an explanation for that was already given, but it would be a nice fix if Zdoom stopped you from playing as a corpse by not allowing chasecam when playing in morphme mode if the proper pwads, deh's or anything containing the chicken-pig frames, aren't loaded within.
How about you just don't use the cheat unless you've loaded the proper resources?
What about reading better?: " if the proper pwads, deh's or anything containing the chicken- pig frames, aren't loaded within".
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Doom wrote:
HotWax wrote:
How about >>:!:YOU:!:<< just don't use the cheat unless you've loaded the proper resources?
What about reading better?

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”