[Fixed] Some Bugzzz..

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Some Bugzzz..

Postby Doom » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:34 am

1- If you open the console without starting/loading a game, it won't close again.

2- While in chasecam mode, you can notice that "our hero" will keep walking even when you already stopped moving. This only happens for about 1.5 secs.

3- Weapons don't aim properly. Bullet holes do always appear a bit lower than the crosshair points.

4- When you win Doom 2, Plutonia or TNT, you get to that scene where you can kill the monsters of the game plus yourself. When you kill yourself, the "arrgghhhhhh" sound won't play. This sound prob does apply to some external stuff such as marine.deh.

5- Berserk's puch sound doesn't play.

6- When you try the "morphme" command in console, your height reduces but when you enable chasecam and shoot something, you kill yourself!, even though you can still play as a corpse. That's fun anyways!.

These are basically aesthetic aspects which do not affect the true gameplay but it would be cool if they could be somehow fixed in a future release.

Cheers.
Doom
Give me 80's metal or give me death

Re: Some Bugzzz..

Postby Hirogen2 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:41 am

Doom wrote:1- If you open the console without starting/loading a game, it won't close again.

Why should it? Hit ESC to return to the menu. Other than these both, there is no useful function in ZDoom at that point.

2- While in chasecam mode, you can notice that "our hero" will keep walking even when you already stopped moving. This only happens for about 1.5 secs.

He's still walking, just about 0.01 units/tic. I might be wrong; a second thought is that the "walk" sequence needs to be finished.

3- Weapons don't aim properly. Bullet holes do always appear a bit lower than the crosshair points.
"Known" bug. This is because you do not shoot from your eyes. => The crosshair is in the center of "your eyes", but the gun is lower than your eyes.

4- When you win Doom 2, Plutonia or TNT, you get to that scene where you can kill the monsters of the game plus yourself. When you kill yourself, the "arrgghhhhhh" sound won't play. This sound prob does apply to some external stuff such as marine.deh.
Could be considered a bug, but then again, it was like that since Vanilla Doom 2.
Hirogen2

Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Doom » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:27 am

Why should it? Hit ESC to return to the menu. Other than these both, there is no useful function in ZDoom at that point.

What if u wanna see the intro again?, that could be a reason.

He's still walking, just about 0.01 units/tic. I might be wrong; a second thought is that the "walk" sequence needs to be finished.

No squence needs to be finished, Doom Legacy won't do that. Don't take this as "he's saying Doom Legacy is better", because it's actually not, just see the fact as something to learn from.

"Known" bug. This is because you do not shoot from your eyes. => The crosshair is in the center of "your eyes", but the gun is lower than your eyes.

Well, then this is the first doom port whose crosshair won't do it's crosshair work!. The idea of a crosshair is being able to put a bullet right straight on your victim's arse and if you can't do that, then there's no reason for a crosshair whatsoever.

Could be considered a bug, but then again, it was like that since Vanilla Doom 2.

So what's the purpose for that quotation?, it doesn't matter if some other port owns the bug, Zdoom must be improved as much as coding allows und since it's been that way from the begining, I see no reason for not to keep doing the same.

Hail to Zdoom!
Doom

Postby Hirogen2 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:39 am

Doom wrote:What if u wanna see the intro again?, that could be a reason.
The intro is just a pic, c'mon. And as long as Vanilla Demos or VIDD is not supported, showing the pic is not really interesting.

No squence needs to be finished, Doom Legacy won't do that. Don't take this as "he's saying Doom Legacy is better", because it's actually not, just see the fact as something to learn from.
Doom Legacy is NOT better. Point. Yeah, probably needs fixing.

Well, then this is the first doom port whose crosshair won't do it's crosshair work!. The idea of a crosshair is being able to put a bullet right straight on your victim's arse and if you can't do that, then there's no reason for a crosshair whatsoever.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t= ... +from+eyes

So what's the purpose for that quotation?, it doesn't matter if some other port owns the bug, Zdoom must be improved as much as coding allows und since it's been that way from the begining, I see no reason for not to keep doing the same.
That means, either every port does not play that sound, or it was out left intentionally (or not intentionally) by id Software.
Hirogen2

Postby Doom » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:20 pm

The intro is just a pic, c'mon. And as long as Vanilla Demos or VIDD is not supported, showing the pic is not really interesting

I know it's just a pic, but I still like it...

Doom Legacy is NOT better. Point. Yeah, probably needs fixing

I'm right, you're right, so it's a shared thought.

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=262&highlight=crosshair+from+eyes

Once again, a non accurate crosshair is plain useless, but if
it's that hard to get fixed, hey, I won't die, I can deal with it.

That means, either every port does not play that sound, or it was out left intentionally (or not intentionally) by id Software

Doom 95 does play it, Doom Legacy does it as well. I can't remember if any other port can handle it, but those I named do it for sure, so if the sound takes part of the iwad, it can be played somehow.
Doom

Postby cccp_leha » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:35 pm

Well, although the crosshair is a bit off, there is no sense in being so blunt and saying that either have it perfect or don't have it at all. I play with autoaim off, so anything that helps get the bullet relatively in the right place works for me. I'd rather have that than try approximate where the middle of the screen is.
cccp_leha
Words are silver; silence is gold... so stfu.

Postby Biff » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:40 pm

Hm, I honestly had not noticed any problem with the crosshair and went to check. Now I see, it's when you are standing close to something that the bullet is seen to hit a few inches below the crosshair. However, when you are shooting farther, where the crosshair may be more important, it's almost impossible to tell that there is any error at all.

At least there is no right/left aiming problem. If you "pulse" the chaingun rather than hold the trigger down constantly, you can get each bullet to smack right onto the crosshair at long distances.
Biff
Caleb is back for a visit

Postby Hirogen2 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:44 pm

There is something even more weird with the crosshair, not in ZDoom but --off-topic-- in Unreal Tournament (enjoy). Walk straight against a wall, look up and shoot. By default, UT lets the decal go where the crosshair is, but not if looking up/down, then it is offset too.
Hirogen2

Postby Enjay » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:17 pm

The "arrgghhhhhh" sound does actually play in vanilla Doom (just checked) but it hasn't played for ages in Zdoom (worked in 1.22). It has been mentioned on the boards before. I'll take a wild stab that it has something to do with Zdoom supporting different sounds for different player setups and it maybe got broke when the way player sounds were handled changed during the 1.23 betas???

The berserk fist sound works just fine for me with Zdoom 2.0.47i
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Doom » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:53 pm

Well, I just forgot to tell more about the berserk, I mean, I was talking about the sound that should be played when punching a wall, not an enemy. It used to work with Doom95 but I haven't tried another port that does.

The crosshair thingy is all about each player's preferences, I like it well aimed, some might find it better the way it's now plus it won't kill the gameplay, at least not that much, cos I used to play it without it back in 1994 anyways. Hope it changes in the new version though...
Doom

Postby Enjay » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:03 pm

Hmmmm I don't get a wall punch sound in vanilla or Zdoom, only when hitting enemies. I don't have Doom '95 installed, so can't check that.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Xaser » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:19 pm

There is no "Wall Punch" sound an any doom or port, and there never has been. Maybe you're thinking of the Hexen fist?
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby The Ultimate DooMer » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:48 pm

Just out of interest, what does 'morphme' turn you into? (it's not a chicken or a pig, as the attack is way too quick for them)
The Ultimate DooMer
Will you start the fans please!

Postby Cyb » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:57 pm

I dunno, but it makes you into an untranslated marine via chasecam (though the view is way too low, so I assume that's a placeholder)

I just tried it with LWM's hellspawn wad on top and it actually turned me into the hell rabbit thingy she has in there, I forget if that replaces the chicken or the pig tho... but it used whatever sounds the rabbit has, however once I started moving it reverted to the untranslated marine sprites, so I dunno
Cyb

Postby Ty Halderman » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:00 pm

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:Just out of interest, what does 'morphme' turn you into? (it's not a chicken or a pig, as the attack is way too quick for them)

According to the code:
Code: Select allExpand view
   case CHT_MORPH:
      if (player->morphTics)
      {
         if (P_UndoPlayerMorph (player))
         {
            msg = "You feel like yourself again";
         }
      }
      else if (P_MorphPlayer (player,
         TypeInfo::FindType (gameinfo.gametype==GAME_Heretic?"ChickenPlayer":"PigPlayer")))
      {
         msg = "You feel strange...";
      }
      break;

So as far as I can tell that means in Heretic you're a chicken, and otherwise you're a pig. Second time turns you back to whatever you were, assumedly a human.

Talk about a valuable bit of wizardry. If I could do that in real life I could be slaughtered immediately in certain situations where I'm otherwise at the top of the food chain :roll:
    (sings a polka) :o
    I don't wanna be a chicken
    I don't wanna be a duck
    Who gives a dum, dum, dum dum dum
    (quits singing for obvious reasons) :?
Sorry, I've been ill for a few days. It's the fever talking :oops:. Let's all hope this is my only post today. I only have 16 smileys left.
Ty Halderman
I'm free! ...or at least inexpensive.
... in loving memory ...

Next

Return to Closed Bugs