Texture Aliment Issue GZDoom 3.7

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Steve5563
Operating System Version (Optional): windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Texture Aliment Issue GZDoom 3.7

Post by Steve5563 »

Hi there,
I have notice going from gzdoom 3.6 to 3.7 creates a texture aliment issue only when you use a HD Texture pack such as
DHTP or Hoovers texture pack,
if you use the vanilla textures the aliment for all the textures appear normal.

Texture packs i use which have this issue
DHTP -- https://github.com/KuriKai/DHTP
Hoovers texture pack -- https://www.moddb.com/mods/hoover1979-u ... /downloads

pictures showing the aliment issue.
gzdoom 3.6 --- https://scontent.fadl5-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5CF064F4
gzdoom 3.7 --- https://scontent.fadl5-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5D00CBE5
cheers.
_mental_

Re: Texture Aliment Issue GZDoom 3.7

Post by _mental_ »

It was said many times, we cannot debug screenshots. Please provide a link to a map pack along with a level and location in it where the bug can be observed easily.
To be honest, due to all these HD textures I cannot even recognize IWAD maps sometimes.
Steve5563

Post by Steve5563 »

here is my map its a big file but you can find the location where the screen shots have been taken from. when you start on map 1 you are in side a teleport chamber when you active the teleport you will appear in the area where the screen shots have been taken. cheers
my map. https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/add ... ground-v10
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Let's be honest, your map requires way too powerful machine to use it as a sample of texturing issue with a high resolution pack.
Of course, you can wait a few years when a PC that can run this map with decent FPS becomes more affordable. So, the bug will be fixed in some distant future.
Although, I suggest you to create a sample with a single square room that exhibits the problem clearly.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Indeed. This thing is virtually untestable - not only for its size but also because it is not set up to be loaded in a simple fashion. How many - and which ones - of the files in there are we supposed to use?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Actually, when modder uses RAR it's already a bad sign ;)

I guess these mod's files should be enough to reproduce the problem

Code: Select all

Hells Playground V1.0/Resource Files/Hell's Playground Resource File 1.pk3
Hells Playground V1.0/Resource Files/Hell's Playground Resource File 2.pk3
Hells Playground V1.0/Hell's Playground/Doom 2 Version/No Monsters/Hell's Playground 0 monsters.wad
When I saw FPS even without HD texture pack, I gave up.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I don't even get that far. The game starts choking on low memory long before I even see a menu. (Note that I have disabled the swapfile on my system which makes these errors pop up far more clearly than if you got virtual memory.)

Post by Guest »

ok sorry guys,
i just made a quick box map for you. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_0ZVR ... Rt1wqIImO0
the issue only seems to appear when you use a hd texture pack such as DHTP. and becomes visible when you scale the texture up in size in gzdoom builder eg. 1.0 to 0.2.
so from gzdoom 3.6 the hd textures appear correct with the scaling and aliment you have set in gzdoom builder but when switching to gzdoom 3.7.2 some of the textures have changed it offsets in height and also left or right offsets.
the textures have all been aligned to the ceiling in gzdoom builder.

---graf--- off topic question here---- with my hell map and all the files you need to play the level with all the custom monsters the files roughly add up to around 730mb. and when you load the map up and start playing it the gpu memory usage can get up to around 4.5gb on msi afterburner including the 656mb just for the desktop, why is there more memory being used then the file sizes themselves, i don't understand that.
also on that note i am curious as to why i get better performance with zandronum 3.0 then gzdoom 3.6 ( engines used when i tested the map ) when i am using weapon mods and a map with lots of monsters on it. is it just the amount of features / code that has been added over the years which is taking its toll on the engine?

-- mental--- whats the issue with using a rar folder ive seen a few people mention about it, and they seem to prefer a zip file. its never worried me to change just asking why for future reference?
cheers guys.
Steve5563

Post by Steve5563 »

ok sorry guys, including the post above got signed out while writing post didn't realize, new to the forums,
i just made a quick box map for you. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_0ZVR ... Rt1wqIImO0
the issue only seems to appear when you use a hd texture pack such as DHTP. and becomes visible when you scale the texture up in size in gzdoom builder eg. 1.0 to 0.2.
so from gzdoom 3.6 the hd textures appear correct with the scaling and aliment you have set in gzdoom builder but when switching to gzdoom 3.7.2 some of the textures have changed it offsets in height and also left or right offsets.
the textures have all been aligned to the ceiling in gzdoom builder.

---graf--- off topic question here---- with my hell map and all the files you need to play the level with all the custom monsters the files roughly add up to around 730mb. and when you load the map up and start playing it the gpu memory usage can get up to around 4.5gb on msi afterburner including the 656mb just for the desktop, why is there more memory being used then the file sizes themselves, i don't understand that.
also on that note i am curious as to why i get better performance with zandronum 3.0 then gzdoom 3.6 ( engines used when i tested the map ) when i am using weapon mods and a map with lots of monsters on it. is it just the amount of features / code that has been added over the years which is taking its toll on the engine?

-- mental--- whats the issue with using a rar folder ive seen a few people mention about it, and they seem to prefer a zip file. its never worried me to change just asking why for future reference?
cheers guys.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Steve5563 wrote:whats the issue with using a rar folder ive seen a few people mention about it, and they seem to prefer a zip file.
In short, there is an open source / free software alternative which is in many ways better than this commercial application.
If you want significantly higher compression ratios, use .7z with LZMA compression (and probably PPMD if you compress particular data like text files).
If you want compatibility no matter what, use omnipresent .zip with Deflate compression (avoid LZMA and Deflate64).

While many freeware and FOSS tools available to decompress .rar files, there is no point to promote commercial software by creating/distributing anything in this format.
There is one kinda exclusive thing RAR offers, a recovery record. For this reason and for ability to make split archives, .rar files are so wide spread in warez distribution.
I believe these features were invented to do backups and to make file transfers more reliable with less overhead. However, dedicated solutions for these tasks are still better that RAR.

Ask yourself, why does GZDoom support loading of .zip/.pk3 and .7z/.pk7 but not .rar? It's just because the format is not open, it imposes some restrictions, and so, we should stay away from it. Availability of its spec and decompression source code does not change this fact.
Steve5563

Post by Steve5563 »

ok i see now thanks mental, i will do that for future mods.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Regarding the issue here, you run afoul of one of ZDoom's most idiotic features ever, the main problem was that the hardware renderer did not correctly handle this until it got changed for 3.7.

ZDoom by default pans hires textures by texel, not by map unit. This can be set per texture, but there is one hole in the entire logic: For unscaled textures this per-texel panning is on, not off, so if you use an unscaled texture with per-sidedef scaling it will use per-texel panning.

Enter hires texture replacements: These have far smaller texels and whack the entire system in a way that isn't universally fixable. There have already been maps that depend on this broken state of things and since I do not know how many and which maps this are I cannot apply an automatic reverse fix to make the 'proper' state the default and only deal with the maps needing something different.

This fix exists but needs to be explicitly enabled. There is a new MAPINFO option to force proper panning for everything. If you add 'forceworldpanning' to your map's MAPINFO record, the panning will be the same for both normal and hires textures, but you may have to fix your offsets, because the proper panning is what you get now with hires textures, not the unscaled variants.

I'm sorry that I cannot be more helpful but that's the curse of having to keep old projects working. It's not the only place where serious design flaws cannot be fixed for the default setting.
Steve5563

Post by Steve5563 »

ok i kinda get what your saying and i have no idea what per-texel panning is..
your talking to someone that draws sector lines in gzdoom builder here lol. i have only done pre cache textures in mapinfo before, so with anything else to do with mapinfo is unknown to me only whats on the wiki that i can copy from. what do i need to have written in the mapinfo to get the "forceworldpanning" option to work. eg. gameinfo { forceworldpanning } ??? just so i can pass on the info to other people.
cheers graf.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

About the panning, here's how it works:

Take a line that is 128 map units long. And take a texture that is 640 pixels wide with a scale factor of 5. Per texel panning means that the offsetsyou need to specify range from 0-640, not 0-128.

This was originally due to a calculation error in the software renderer, but when the problem was discovered it didn't get fixed but turned into a feature - with the bad choice as default.
This was some 15 years ago, so you might understand why today it is a problem to fix.
Steve5563

Post by Steve5563 »

ah ok i see what your saying.
so pretty much from now on with making maps for gzdoom 3.7 if i was to make a map with gzdoom builder and i am planning on scaling the textures in GZDoom Builder.
i will need to use the HD Texture pack as the resource file and not the vanilla textures in the doom 2 wad?
so you can visually get the aliment to appear the same from gzdoom builder to gzdoom 3.7 in game?

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”