Precache Textures is set to on but stuff is loaded on demand

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Get Phobo

Precache Textures is set to on but stuff is loaded on demand

Post by Get Phobo »

I got the Precache Textures option set to on, so I would expect the game to load as much stuff at map load as possible -- as much as fits into VRAM, basically. This seems to be broken, though, or at least not implemented 100% correctly.

To be more precise, when playing with HD textures and entering even a medium-sized room, even those in map01, the game starts stuttering what may last several seconds. At first, I thought it's 'something' with my GPU.

But by using a monitoring tool (MSI Afterburner), I have found out that what the game does there is simply to load stuff -- large amounts of it, like several hundreds of megabytes -- into video memory on demand -- which completely contradicts precaching. So, to me, this whole precaching thing seems to be broken.
It occurs long before my VRAM is full, so I highly doubt it could be due to a lack of VRAM.

Wouldn't it be possible to just load everything that might be used on a map into RAM and VRAM on map load rather than on demand?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Precache Textures is set to on but stuff is loaded on de

Post by Graf Zahl »

The precaching system is not foolproof. For example, at the moment it cannot track dependencies between actors, e.g. if you got a DoomImp, its projectile is not getting precached.
No, it is not possible to "load everything the map may be using". It can surely be extended to work better, but that will need some hints from the actor definitions. But if you load everything that "may be used", you run the risk of loading large amounts of unneeded stuff that can both fill up your video RAM and increase precaching time.
Get Phobo

Re: Precache Textures is set to on but stuff is loaded on de

Post by Get Phobo »

Graf Zahl wrote:But if you load everything that "may be used", you run the risk of loading large amounts of unneeded stuff that can both fill up your video RAM and increase precaching time.
Yeah, that's what I thought was your reasoning. It's basically missing the point of your own work, and that of today's lotsa-RAM machines.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”