[Fixed] Model normals aren't interpolated

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Model normals aren't interpolated

Postby Marisa Kirisame » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:41 am

I've been hearing this a lot from people who haven't bothered with reporting this themselves, but animation interpolation seems to only interpolate vertex positions, but not normals. Taking a look at main.vp I can clearly see this being the case.

The lack of interpolation for normals causes lighting to look "choppy" when models are animating, as the normals "jump" each animation frame.
Marisa Kirisame
ZScript Magician

Discord: Marisa Kirisame#4689
Twitch ID: magusmarisa
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Model normals aren't interpolated

Postby Rachael » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:04 am

Marisa Kirisame wrote:I've been hearing this a lot from people who haven't bothered with reporting this themselves

Not to derail this, but ...

If people notice problems they themselves should always be at the forefront of reporting them. The people who experience the issues are always the ones who know the most about them, and when they use relays like us there's information degradation that occurs, oftentimes to a critical extent and it makes the issue unsolvable.

Whoever reported this to you is lucky that you understood the issue enough to report it on your own - but we really need to be encouraging people to file their own reports.

That being said however - the most obvious part of this whole issue still stands - we need a test sample.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:19 am

I have known this myself (anyone with knowledge looking at the shader would see it immediately.) and even asked dpJudas about it. But ultimately we didn't deem this urgent enough. Of course if people really notice, it's a different thing...
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer
Lead GZDoom Developer

Postby dpJudas » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:03 am

Pushed a fix for this.
dpJudas

Return to Closed Bugs