Config files using LF only for line breaks instead of CRLF

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Korell

Config files using LF only for line breaks instead of CRLF

Post by Korell »

I've no idea if this should be posted here or not as it is a bug (in fact, would this even be considered a bug?) that I've noticed only with the development builds. It affects g3.6pre-56-g55d1613ea and g3.6pre-57-g2d1043d1d (I've only used the 64-bit versions though, so I don't know if the 32-bit versions are also affected). These are the two development builds released in September so far.

Basically, when you run the game with one of these two development builds the config file is updated so that the line breaks use LF (line feed) only, rather than CRLF (carriage return + line feed). This means that when opening them in Notepad in Windows they are just one huge mass of text. Other text editors, such as Notepad++, however, are able to display them fine. Rolling back to g3.6pre-50-g050d72724 and then re-running the game restores the carriage returns to the config file so that it becomes easily readable within Notepad again.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Config files using LF only for line breaks instead of CR

Post by Graf Zahl »

People really still use Notepad? :?

To explain, this comes from transitioning to another file writing interface which was done to allow redirecting the output. This interface does not provide any CR filter.

To make it clear, there's only one relevant program in the entire world which is having problems with these and that is this godforsaken abomination called Notepad. The mere existence of this POS has caused so much trouble with text files that I have lost count. Without Notepad the entire computing world would have agreed on a single standard (i.e. CR only) by now, but since Microsoft has been too lazy to fix their crappy editor this did not happen.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Notepad should be able to handle that starting with the next major version of Windows 10.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Too little, too late.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Is this thing so important? 'Will not fix' maybe.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I don't think it's that important. There are tools enough to make the files readable in Winderz, and the fact that Notepad is unable to do its job properly as of 25+ years is a complete and utter failing on Microsoft's part.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Any text editor on Windows can handle these files. Older versions of Notepad are the sole exception.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”