Hud Scaling Texture Bug?

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Valken

Hud Scaling Texture Bug?

Post by Valken »

GZDoom 3.4.x / 3.5.x x64

From mods such as Brutal Doom or Project Brutality, there is a black texture that is shown during the screen melt sequence when entering a level.

If I set HUD SCALING / MESSAGES to 1, it shows up as a black box on a 1080p screen. If left at default or 2+, the black screen is shown perfectly. The texture is a black texture in the graphics / misc folder. I've attached it here for reference.

QZDoom does not have this problem with the above mods and 1 setting for MESSAGES.
Zdoom does not work due to age probably.

Not sure if it is engine or a mod issue.

Texture ripped from the PK3 for checking.
Attachments
BLASCR.png
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Hud Scaling Texture Bug?

Post by Graf Zahl »

I do not have both mods avalilable right now, but with the multitude of bugs they have it's probably in there somewhere. It probably tries to do some effect with the black texture but it was poorly tested on different settings and/or made assumptions about how stuff works that are not correct.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

It's a black texture in BD v21 for the fade in from black effect at level start. It's a very big texture, bigger than the OP's hardware can handle that's why the D3D renderer crashed since there were no texture scaling there (ZDoom LE won't crash but skip the texture instead).
About the scaling problem itself i've just tested with the vintage version @1280x1024 and runs fine but i can't test at that resolution and a new BD version have just been released.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

drfrag wrote:It's a black texture in BD v21 for the fade in from black effect at level start.
It would have been better if it was achieved using [wiki]FadeTo[/wiki].
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

You cannot really expect this from a project like BD. Why use actual features if some crappy hack seemingly gives the same result?
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

"Because FadeTo is a generic script and you can not have multiple fadding screens. Several maps uses it to create a black screen as the level loads and play messages, cutscenes, etc. If I use for this purpose in BD, it may break compatibility with any map that uses it to make the screen black before initializing an intro cutscene. I need to keep the first frame hidden to hide monster randomization, the map enhancement script stuff working, and other things, and this is the only way possible without fucking up with maps that uses the same feature.

()if he had added any way to track fadding screens, either with TIDs (which could create nice effects by having several fading screens of different colors) or some variable to check if the screen is faded and avoid the script if positive, these kind of hacks would never be necessary. I can only do as much as his own code permits."

His words, not mine, just sharing here in hopes of some solution.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

BROS_ETT_311 wrote:"Because FadeTo is a generic script and you can not have multiple fadding screens. Several maps uses it to create a black screen as the level loads and play messages, cutscenes, etc. If I use for this purpose in BD, it may break compatibility with any map that uses it to make the screen black before initializing an intro cutscene. I need to keep the first frame hidden to hide monster randomization, the map enhancement script stuff working, and other things, and this is the only way possible without fucking up with maps that uses the same feature.

()if he had added any way to track fadding screens, either with TIDs (which could create nice effects by having several fading screens of different colors) or some variable to check if the screen is faded and avoid the script if positive, these kind of hacks would never be necessary. I can only do as much as his own code permits."

His words, not mine, just sharing here in hopes of some solution.
The "solution" would be for him to use engine features properly and not employing half-baked hacks. For example, he could use a much smaller texture in combination with SetHUDSize instead of making plain wrong assumptions about how this stuff works.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”