Red Key Card Glitch in TNT Map 32: Caribbean

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.

Red Key Card Glitch in TNT Map 32: Caribbean

Post by Guest »

Windows 7, 64-bit
GZdoom 3.5.0 64-bit
Doom 2: TNT Evilution, Map 32 "Caribbean"

When acquiring the red key on this level, the red bars that guard the red key door do not lower at all. You have to noclip to get past them.

To reproduce this, start a new game, select "Ultra Violence", then use idclev32 to warp to that level. Play through the level as normal, get all the secrets, and get to the red key room. After getting the red key, go back outside to the area where the red key bars are. You will see that the red key bars do not lower at all.

I tested this with both versions of TNT.WAD, as described below:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/TNT.WAD

In my particular case, I patched TNT.WAD with IWAD patcher 1.2 to the TNT Anthology version, which is ironically enough known for fixing the Yellow Key card glitch in TNT Map 31.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Red Key Card Glitch in TNT Map 32: Caribbean

Post by Graf Zahl »

Moving to bugs.
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cacodemon345 »

I couldn't trigger this bug in any way. Played in GZDoom 3.5.1 with ITYTD, did what the OP says and the red key card bars seem to lower.
lil'devil

Post by lil'devil »

Cacodemon345 wrote:I couldn't trigger this bug in any way. Played in GZDoom 3.5.1 with ITYTD
OP told to select Ultra-Violence, not ITYTD.
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cacodemon345 »

lil'devil wrote:
Cacodemon345 wrote:I couldn't trigger this bug in any way. Played in GZDoom 3.5.1 with ITYTD
I did select UV, but still couldn't trigger it.
Edit: OK, I managed to trigger that bug. My bad.
Master O

Post by Master O »

Cacodemon345 wrote:
lil'devil wrote:
I did select UV, but still couldn't trigger it.
Edit: OK, I managed to trigger that bug. My bad.
Any progress on this bug? I am the one who originally created this thread, but didn't have my account reactivated at the time.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Please do not ask if there's "any progress" on a report. If no one has posted anything, there's no progress on it.

Posts like these make some developers want to close the issue rather than actually do anything to fix it.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

Wasn't able to reproduce, but I'll just throw out that this map uses unconventional triggers so are you sure you're hitting them? Basically, the switch that opens up access to the red key happens to also lower the red key bars, and the key itself is bait to make the player walk over another trigger line which opens up the sky barrier past the red key barrier, to simulate the effect of the ship arriving at a destination. Picture of the two respective triggers, yellow is trigger, orange-red is the sectors they operate on. Another example of unconventional key behaviour is in Plutonia MAP29 where getting the red key opens up a trap that has a switch to lower red key bars.
Master O

Post by Master O »

fakemai wrote:Wasn't able to reproduce, but I'll just throw out that this map uses unconventional triggers so are you sure you're hitting them? Basically, the switch that opens up access to the red key happens to also lower the red key bars, and the key itself is bait to make the player walk over another trigger line which opens up the sky barrier past the red key barrier, to simulate the effect of the ship arriving at a destination. Picture of the two respective triggers, yellow is trigger, orange-red is the sectors they operate on. Another example of unconventional key behaviour is in Plutonia MAP29 where getting the red key opens up a trap that has a switch to lower red key bars.
I have attached a demo showing you what I did and the red key bars do not open (.lmp file within zip). The demo uses a patched TNT.WAD (to the Anthology Version) using this program:

http://downloads.zdaemon.org/iwadpatcher-1.2-bin.zip

The same behavior also happens in that version of GZdoom with an unpatched TNT.WAD from the original Final Doom CD.
Attachments
redglitch.zip
(23.64 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Fixed.

Some badly ported compatibility setting made one line unusable, thanks to some incorrectly commented action that was ported literally to the ZScript version.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”