gzdoom won't fully use my hardware [3.4.1]

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Rowsol

gzdoom won't fully use my hardware [3.4.1]

Post by Rowsol »

Out of curiosity I installed afterburner because I wanted to know where my bottleneck was. Turns out gzdoom refuses to use more than 80%~ of either my CPU or GPU. Is this normal? I load up handbrake and my CPU is pegged so... not really sure what is going on.

This is me standing at the start of Hellbound map29. CPU1 hovers between 65 and 85 even though I'm barely breaking 30fps.
Attachments
Capture2.JPG
Last edited by Rowsol on Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: gzdoom won't fully use my hardware [3.4.1]

Post by wildweasel »

If your CPU is multi-core, GZDoom doesn't use more than two cores - one for sound, the other for everything else. Doom logic doesn't lend itself especially well to multi-core processing, because of the sync issues involved. Windows' Task Manager will cap the CPU usage meter based on how much of each core is in use. If you have 4 cores, it won't go above 50% if only 2 of those cores are being used.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Sorry, I edited my post to show it more clearly. I'm looking at each core individually. CPU1 won't go beyond 85ish, even when I'm slamming BFG's at the wall and my fps is dropping in the 20's.

Edit: I made a few tweaks to my bios and loaded up map29 again. I got a rather curious change. I think this problem is on my end. You can move this thread if you want.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (13.06 KiB) Viewed 611 times
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

That's all perfectly normal. It rarely happens that a CPU core can run at full load 100% of the time. Unless the system can use it for other things, even that core is idle on occasion when the game needs to wait for some other thread to finish its work.

Modern graphics drivers do the majority of work in a background thread (running on another core, of course) and any time the game has to wait for the GPU to finish stuff it halts the main thread. You can see this time if you enter 'stat rendertimes' at the console and look at the last value - "finish". Depending on graphics hardware and the map being played it can easily happen that the main thread is idle for more than 50% of the running time.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”