[Devbuilds] Fullscreen not changing resolution of monitor

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Mynameislol

[Devbuilds] Fullscreen not changing resolution of monitor

Post by Mynameislol »

Hello, i'm using an old CRT monitor, and i'm trying to play at the 320x240 resolution, but in the newest devbuilds it's instead scaling up 320x240 to 1600x1200 (desktop resolution)

I'm running windows 10, and the usual solution would be to simply change the desktop resolution to that, but windows does not support that resolution outside of games/software
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: [Devbuilds] Fullscreen not changing resolution of monito

Post by Graf Zahl »

The ability do change resolutions has been removed because it is mostly pointless for current display hardware. If you absolutely need that, you have to use the vintage build, but for that no devbuilds are produced.
Mynameislol

Post by Mynameislol »

That is unfortunate. I'll look on the web for a resolution changer
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Well actually Blzut3 is creating devbuilds for the vintage version (even 64 bit ones).
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

OK, in that case...
But why 64 bit?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

He wanted to do so.
Mynameislol

Post by Mynameislol »

drfrag wrote:Well actually Blzut3 is creating devbuilds for the vintage version (even 64 bit ones).
Isn't the vintage version going to disable some features? Fullscreen was literally the only thing i need from the vintage build

Anyway, i could not find a proper solution to the resolution problem anywhere on the web, as windows simply refuses to allow the resolution.
So this wouldn't be an issue if windows just allowed the resolution to be selected, but alas, no.
I guess i'll simply have to deal with not being able to play at lower resolutions with higher refresh rates

EDIT: i found a crazy solution! I start quake, minimize it, then launch gzdoom!
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Why is it so bad to upscale 320x240 to something the monitor can display properly? I am frankly surprised that your system can even change the display mode to 320x240. Mine bottoms out at 640x480, everything lower just fails completely, even DDraw and D3D exclusive mode.

All that said, the vintage build contains all play features, it just uses a somewhat older renderer which omits all the recent changes for transitioning it to current graphics hardware and which will no longer see any more updates. But since you play at 320x240 any of this won't be of much use anyway so using the vintage build should be fine.
Mynameislol

Post by Mynameislol »

Graf Zahl wrote:Why is it so bad to upscale 320x240 to something the monitor can display properly? I am frankly surprised that your system can even change the display mode to 320x240. Mine bottoms out at 640x480, everything lower just fails completely, even DDraw and D3D exclusive mode.

All that said, the vintage build contains all play features, it just uses a somewhat older renderer which omits all the recent changes for transitioning it to current graphics hardware and which will no longer see any more updates. But since you play at 320x240 any of this won't be of much use anyway so using the vintage build should be fine.
As my monitor is a CRT, it's resolution is dynamic, and displays these resolutions perfectly. The one drawback it has is that it cannot display higher refresh rates on higher resolutions, it supports 240hz at 512x384 & lower, 120hz on 640x480, and 60hz at 1600x1200.

Also, i am working on PBR materials for GZDoom, and it looks very nice even at 320x240. If i use the vintage build, it probably won't support PBR materials, am i right?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

No, you are wrong. The Vintage renderer was split off some time after 3.3. The main reason was that one optimization for modern hardware did cause significant slowdowns on old Intel hardware.
After that the resolution change was removed because the code for that is a complete mess, thanks to how Windows implements this, and would have stood in the way of moving forward towards Vulkan. I think your entire use case definitely counts as Vintage. 320x240 and a CRT is just so - 20+ years ago ... :?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Playing @320x240 resolution using the GL renderer it's crazy by itself. The only reason to do so IMO would be to play with an extremely slow software driver such as Mesa3D. I play @1024x768 70 Hz becouse my CRT monitor emits a high pitched whistle at higher refresh rates (DOS used 72 Hz BTW). :P
I guess he's using an intel graphics "card" as only those still support that resolution natively AFAIK.
Mynameislol

Post by Mynameislol »

I'm using a 1080 TI. And yes, it seems like it's more of a windows issue, but even the nvidia control panel doesn't work properly, as i can create the custom resolution, and it works perfectly, but upon restart, i'll have to write in the resolution all over again. It gets tedious after a while.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”