Intermission screen crash [v3.4.1 w/ crash report]

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.

Intermission screen crash [v3.4.1 w/ crash report]

Post by Guest »

Sorry if this has been addressed somewhere and I missed it, but I keep getting a crash when playing certain maps with v3.4.1. I tried to submit the crash report but the "send" button was just greyed out.

Here's the crash report zip: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8evexapij ... Report.zip

It happened while playing a map called Quirky Domain (I'll post the link below), but it also happens with a few custom maps I'm working on personally. The maps run fine, until I complete them and hit the intermission screen. I see the intermission screen for about 2 seconds and then it crashes. I get this crash in v3.4.1, and 3.4.0, but I don't get the crash in earlier versions - if that info helps.

Quirky Domain WAD: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... or-doom-2/
_mental_

Re: Intermission screen crash [v3.4.1 w/ crash report]

Post by _mental_ »

It crashes inside Intel OpenGL driver. Try to update graphics drivers.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

Does yours crash as soon as the screen transition effect ends? Because I ran into at least a similar issue, also on Intel graphics, but on Linux, and with a much older OpenGL version (2.1). If all else fails try switching off the screen transition effect. It's under display options -> screen wipe effect.

Post by Guest »

@_mental_
I'm currently using an old Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i3 (I'm in between decent desktops at the moment), and this thing has a world of issues that I've been fighting with. I've tried to update drivers (it seems to involve something called the Lenovo Service Bridge), and I haven't been successful yet, but not giving up. I appreciate the advice though.

@fakemai
Interestingly enough, this appears to be the (or one of the) culprits! If I set screen wipe to None, Burn, or Crossfade, I don't crash on any map - it only crashes when I have it set to Melt. Thank you so much for pointing me in that direction!

I'm still going to figure out my graphics driver situation, however, as I don't want to just throw in the towel on that. Perhaps with latest drivers, I wouldn't be crashing with the Melt screen wipe.

Really appreciate the help, have a great day.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I can't do anything here. Sorry.
Maybe once we manage to refactor the wipe it will work again.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

I'll just throw out that it's become nigh unreproducible for whatever reason on my system. I was trying to get a backtrace that included what was happening in Mesa, and did manage to, however this was only one crash out of maybe 100 attempts with different configurations of GZDoom, Mesa, and using GDB or not. Given that I'm content to leave this to rest. Thanks and sorry if I've been a bother.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”