Launching error

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Launching error

Post by Graf Zahl »

Right now Windows XP is still supported. This is the first time someone reported some problems and unless they are proven to be XP's fault I see no reason to change it.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

AntonZab wrote:Yea ini file exactly the same....... At First. 3.2.2 works excellent. At second. I removed ini file. Again gives the same error
Why 3.2.2? Just checked 3.3.2 on XP SP3 and runs fine.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

_mental_ wrote:could please check 387-gfd5df6e8d and 361-g2ff1d8c37?
I confirm the error but the ini is good. First version working is 361.
I'll need to re-check the legacy build.
Edit: the last MinGW build works and it's mostly up to date so it's a VS specific thing.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

361-g2ff1d8c37 is the last version built by Blzut3's devbuild system. AFAIK all newer builds were uploaded by Rachael.

I suppose it's some sort of configuration issue. What's the version of Visual Studio used to make those builds? And what's the toolchain?
For MSVC 2015 the right toolchain is v140_xp and for 2017 it's v141_xp.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Without the XP toolchain it wouldn't even start on XP. That cannopt be the problem.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I'm using v141_xp, VS2017, and my SDK is a Windows 10 kit version 10.0.15063.0
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The SDK may be the problem. I thought for XP compatibility SDK 8.1 is needed.
This may pose a problem for me, too. I had to uninstall VS 2015 because my SSD was getting full and this was mostly redundant with VS 2017. But my 32 bit build setup was still on 2015 with the old SDK.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I do have an 8.1 kit installed but I have no idea whether or not it is used.

You know what, though? Why do we even care about Windows XP at all? We're not doing anyone a favor by supporting it. There are far more secure alternatives than using a system that Microsoft has abandoned nearly half a decade ago and I can't imagine it being good advice to support (and therefore encourage) usage of that system, much less as a primary one that they're most likely using to browse the internet.

If ever there's a case for dropping Windows XP - the very fact that it's a bad idea to even use it in 2018 should be a very good one. I'm sorry, but I cannot in good conscience voice any positive support for this very likely insecure platform, and really would like to put into consideration plainly dropping it on principle. No one should use it - period.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

It's dead, Jim.
It's a broken toolchain, AFAIK the XP toolchain uses a cut-down version of the Windows 7.1A SDK. I bet they've messed up something again at Monkeysoft.
I also think it's better to drop XP support now, many XP machines don't even support GL 2.0 (mine don't).
Also i plan to release a legacy build (probably 3.3.3, name still to decide) along the next official one to target XP and old CPUs.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Oh there is definitely some machines that are XP that will even support OpenGL 3 but that's not the point...

If someone is desperate enough to use that then indeed they can use a fork that is designed for it.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

drfrag wrote:It's dead, Jim.
It's a broken toolchain, AFAIK the XP toolchain uses a cut-down version of the Windows 7.1A SDK. I bet they've messed up something again at Monkeysoft.
I also think it's better to drop XP support now, many XP machines don't even support GL 2.0 (mine don't).
I think you are wrong here.
The current state of the survey lists roughly less than 1% of XP users, 75% of which reported for the hardware renderer. Half of those even for GL3 and even four users which report Vulkan compatibility. These ones I really do not understand. They seem to have recent hardware but stick to a crusty old OS.
drfrag wrote: Also i plan to release a legacy build (probably 3.3.3, name still to decide) along the next official one to target XP and old CPUs.
I am writing something in the developer's forum about this announcement.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I don't think this time is a proper 'fork' at least for now, there are a couple of things or three but i plan to do a PR or two.
It seems okay unless i've done a bad merge (unlikely).

I've seen even P2 based XP machines, but sure there are modern ones as well (some could be upgraded to win7 BTW) and there are even some retro hardware enthusiasts building the most powaful XP machine eva.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I really have to wonder what these people will get out of it. Give it a few more years and they have a great computer but no software to run on.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Nothing that dual-booting can't solve.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Fortunately in that case the fact that they run XP is irrelevant... :mrgreen:

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”