[Fixed] crash, boom, bang

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

crash, boom, bang

Postby arcticwolf » Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:39 pm

The following crash happens with WolfenDoom's "2nd Encounter" (ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgame ... nd_enc.zip); precisely, it happens after you finish the whole thing and get to the enemy lineup Doom does afterwards. When you get to "lost soul", the game crashes.

Code: Select allExpand view
Code: ACCESS_VIOLATION
Tried to read address 00000004
Flags: 00000000
Address: 004d9de8

Windows NT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1

GS=0000  FS=0038  ES=0023  DS=0023
EAX=00c00000  EBX=00591298  ECX=00000000  EDX=00000000
ESI=00000005  EDI=00000001
EBP=00000001  EIP=004d9de8  ESP=0012fbc0  CS=001b  SS=0023
EFlags=00010246
 CF- PF+ AF- ZF+ SF- TF- IF+ DF- OF- NT- RF+ VM- AC- VI- VP-

FPU State:
 ControlWord=027f StatusWord=0020 TagWord=ffff
 ErrorOffset=004ed583
 ErrorSelector=034d001b
 DataOffset=00554c04
 DataSelector=ffff0023
 Cr0NpxState=00000000

MM0=0000000000000000
MM1=0000000000000000
MM2=8000000000000000
MM3=c740000000000000
MM4=0000000000000000
MM5=0000000500000001
MM6=0000000100c00000
MM7=000000230012fbc0

Running threads:
000378fc at 004d9de8*
000378d0
00037920
00037938
00037958
00037950
000375b0
00037960
0003876c

Loaded modules:
00400000 - 0060ffff *zdoom.exe
77f40000 - 77fedfff  ntdll.dll
77e40000 - 77f37fff  kernel32.dll
78090000 - 78173fff  COMCTL32.dll
77be0000 - 77c32fff  msvcrt.dll
77c40000 - 77c7ffff  GDI32.dll
77d10000 - 77d95fff  USER32.dll
77da0000 - 77e3bfff  ADVAPI32.dll
78000000 - 7807dfff  RPCRT4.dll
63180000 - 631e4fff  SHLWAPI.dll
71a30000 - 71a38fff  WSOCK32.dll
71a10000 - 71a24fff  WS2_32.dll
71a00000 - 71a07fff  WS2HELP.dll
76af0000 - 76b1cfff  WINMM.dll
10000000 - 10086fff  fmod.dll
77bb0000 - 77bc3fff  MSACM32.dll
77180000 - 77296fff  ole32.dll
76350000 - 76395fff  comdlg32.dll
773a0000 - 77b9bfff  SHELL32.dll
00c70000 - 00d3efff  nView.dll
76bb0000 - 76bbafff  PSAPI.DLL
74a50000 - 74a56fff  POWRPROF.dll
77bd0000 - 77bd6fff  VERSION.dll
5f1a0000 - 5f1b9fff  OLEPRO32.DLL
770f0000 - 7717afff  OLEAUT32.dll
51000000 - 5104cfff  DDRAW.dll
73b30000 - 73b35fff  DCIMAN32.dll
00e40000 - 00e68fff  NVWRSDE.DLL
746a0000 - 746e3fff  MSCTF.dll
00eb0000 - 00ec2fff  PowerMenuHook.dll
76f10000 - 76f17fff  wtsapi32.dll
76300000 - 7630efff  WINSTA.dll
76f50000 - 76f5ffff  Secur32.dll
51080000 - 510d9fff  dsound.dll
72c90000 - 72c98fff  wdmaud.drv
72c80000 - 72c87fff  msacm32.drv
77ba0000 - 77ba6fff  midimap.dll
5ef80000 - 5ef83fff  KsUser.dll
76f90000 - 77007fff  CLBCATQ.DLL
77010000 - 770e2fff  COMRes.dll
6ce10000 - 6cebefff  dinput8.dll
68d90000 - 68d98fff  HID.DLL
76620000 - 76707fff  SETUPAPI.DLL
0fbe0000 - 0fbe7fff  IdleTrac.dll
0fd90000 - 0fddbfff  HookProc.dll

Bytes near EIP:
004d9dd8: 00 66 8b 80 0a 01 00 00 33 d2 89 0d 20 93 59 00
004d9de8: 8b 49 04 85 c9 0f 9d c2 c7 05 54 93 59 00 00 00
004d9df8: 00 00 c7 05 18 93 59 00 00 00 00 00 4a 81 e2 00

ZDoom version 2.0.47

Command line:
 zdoom -iwad doom2.wad -file 2nd_enc.wad -deh 2nd_enc.deh
IWAD: doom2.wad

Not in a level.

Possible call trace:
 004d9de8  BOOM
 0046e664  call [ecx+0x28]
 0050e84e
 004d5429  call 004d9f10
 004f391b  call 004d52a0
 004e2772  call 004f3880
 004e2d58  call 004e25c0
 004f3fd7  call 004e2d20
 004f517e  call 004f3d90
 004ee910  call 004ee870
 004ee910  call 004ee870
 00476398  call 004ee900
 0046d510  call 004f4030
 0046d5e5  call 0046d1f0
 00425bd7  call 0046d570
 00425a6e  call 0042a840
 00425a56

Stack Contents:
0012fbc0: 00591298 0016c160 00000000 00000000  ··Y·`···········
0012fbd0: 77d2d5cd 77d14835 6ce13a66 001650e4  ···w5H·wf:·l·P··
0012fbe0: 00165000 6ce17cae 00165000 00000000  ·P···|·l·P······
0012fbf0: 00000000 00000001 00000000 0007dbd9  ················
0012fc00: 00000001 0012fc48 00000000 77d57b0e  ····H········{·w
0012fc10: 0046e664 00165004 00000014 0012fc48  d·F··P······H···
0012fc20: 0012fc30 00000000 00000060 00000001  0·······`·······
0012fc30: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000  ················
0012fc40: 00000001 0050e84e 004d5429 00591298  ····N·P·)TM···Y·
0012fc50: 0007dbd9 004f391b 00000060 004e2772  ·····9O·`···r'N·
0012fc60: 00000001 00000001 0012fcc8 00000000  ················
0012fc70: 0000001c 0007dbd9 00000000 00000060  ············`···
0012fc80: 00000001 00000001 00000007 004e2d58  ············X-N·
0012fc90: 00000001 00000007 0012fcc8 00000000  ················
0012fca0: 8023af48 004f3fd7 00000001 00000007  H·#··?O·········
0012fcb0: 00000000 00b7a6c8 0012fca8 0012fe14  ················
0012fcc0: 00510acc 00000000 0012fe20 004f517e  ··Q····· ···~QO·
0012fcd0: 0000017e 0000026e 00000000 a1637ab7  ~···n········zc·
0012fce0: 00b7bb60 b2b81b60 e6fb29c3 1df4d5cd  `···`····)······
0012fcf0: df84f9e4 788179b5 1d05af9a f8c9bd3f  ·····y·x····?···
0012fd00: 6d6f6f44 7475412e 616f6c6f 6f640064  Doom.Autoload·do
0012fd10: 732f6d6f 736e696b ef5fe800 dd978f8a  om/skins··_·····
0012fd20: d2603c41 9475a7aa 1d3ffbfa 85e2c60f  A<`···u···?·····
0012fd30: c863a230 c1935073 a764149e b0891f7b  0·c·sP····d·{···
0012fd40: 4e2b1925 68eeadc3 6832bb0c 9cbdcc97  %·+N···h··2h····
0012fd50: 594401a3 9fcd6d45 0b36ea4c 00548580  ··DYEm··L·6···T·
0012fd60: 00535577 004ee910 00000002 00548578  wUS···N·····x·T·
0012fd70: 00535577 004ee910 00000002 0012fd88  wUS···N·········
0012fd80: 00476398 00548578 0012fda0 00000094  ·cG·x·T·········
0012fd90: 00000005 00000001 00000a28 00000002  ········(·······
0012fda0: 76726553 20656369 6b636150 77003120  Service Pack 1·w
0012fdb0: 77280888 771e2e6e 00000000 8007000e  ··(wn.·w········
0012fdc0: 0015b180 77183e9c 00000000 00000000  ·····>·w········
0012fdd0: 771d6b78 0015b180 0012fe18 77284120  xk·w········ A(w
0012fde0: 00000000 77284188 0012fe10 771afc48  ·····A(w····H··w
0012fdf0: 0000017e 0000026e 0012fe6c 00000000  ~···n···l·······
0012fe00: 0000026e 0000017e 00000000 005b6977  n···~·······wi[·
0012fe10: 001dbc67 0012fe60 00510aef ffffffff  g···`·····Q·····
0012fe20: 0012fe6c 0046d510 ffffffff 77e5e6b9  l·····F········w
0012fe30: 7ffdf000 00000000 00000000 0000026e  ···········n···
0012fe40: 0000017e 00000001 000f4240 ffffffff  ~·······@B······
0012fe50: 00000276 00000199 77e40000 0012fe28  v··········w(···
0012fe60: 0012fe88 00510af9 00000000 0012fe98  ······Q·········
0012fe70: 0046d5e5 77e5ad86 00000000 7ffdf000  ··F····w·······
0012fe80: 0012fe74 0012f7e8 0012ffb0 0042b8f0  t·············B·
0012fe90: 005259e8 00000000 0012ffc0 00425bd7  ·YR··········[B·
0012fea0: 00400000 00000000 00152316 0000000a  ··@······#······
0012feb0: 00000094 00000005 00000001 00000a28  ············(···
0012fec0: 00000002 76726553 20656369 6b636150  ····Service Pack
0012fed0: ee003120 eec2ac08 eec2ac08 eec2ac08   1··············
0012fee0: eec2ac08 e3ca9000 e3caa000 e3cab000  ················
0012fef0: e3cac000 e3cad000 e3cae000 e3caf000  ················
0012ff00: e3cb0000 e3cb1000 e3cb2000 e3cb3000  ········· ···0··
0012ff10: e3cb4000 e3cb5000 e3cb6000 e3cb7000  ·@···P···`···p··
0012ff20: fdca63c8 ff676980 00002cdd 00000001  ·c···ig··,······
0012ff30: 00000014 00000000 00000014 00002ca9  ·············,··
0012ff40: 00425a6e 77f844a8 00000007 7ffdf000  nZB··D·w·······
0012ff50: 00002ca9 00000001 00152316 00000044  ·,·······#··D···
0012ff60: 00153968 001535b8 001539c8 00000000  h9···5···9······
0012ff70: 00000001 00000064 00000064 00000000  ····d···d·······
0012ff80: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000001  ················
0012ff90: 00000000 ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff  ················
0012ffa0: 00000000 00000000 0012feb0 e3879bb0  ················
0012ffb0: 0012ffe0 0042b8f0 00522cd0 00000000  ······B··,R·····
0012ffc0: 0012fff0 77e614c7 77f844a8 00000007  ·······w·D·w····
0012ffd0: 7ffdf000 eec2acf0 0012ffc8 80534504  ············ES·
0012ffe0: ffffffff 77e74809 77e71210 00000000  ·····H·w···w····
0012fff0: 00000000 00000000 00425a56 00000000  ········VZB·····
User avatar
arcticwolf
Canis lupus arctos
 
Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Location: The world

Postby Enjay » Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:48 am

I don't remember what the lost soul has been changed to in that mod, but it is a common occurence for any doom port, or the original exe, to crash on the credits screen if you have done something with dehacked that the end credit march can't handle. Many things work OK, but many other things will just bork the whole thing - even if the monster concerned works fine in game.

At least with Zdoom there is the option of using alternative end of game endings and so circumvent the whole problem when making a mod specifically for Zdoom.
User avatar
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain
 
 
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Location: Scotland

Postby arcticwolf » Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:33 am

Enjay wrote:I don't remember what the lost soul has been changed to in that mod, but it is a common occurence for any doom port, or the original exe, to crash on the credits screen if you have done something with dehacked that the end credit march can't handle. Many things work OK, but many other things will just bork the whole thing - even if the monster concerned works fine in game.

At least with Zdoom there is the option of using alternative end of game endings and so circumvent the whole problem when making a mod specifically for Zdoom.


I'm not sure what the lost souls are used for (not for new enemies, definitely), but the problem is that a) it's not specifically for ZDoom and b) a crash is a crash is a crash no matter what - the bug is real. :)
User avatar
arcticwolf
Canis lupus arctos
 
Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Location: The world

Postby Enjay » Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:46 am

arcticwolf wrote:I'm not sure what the lost souls are used for (not for new enemies, definitely), but the problem is that a) it's not specifically for ZDoom and b) a crash is a crash is a crash no matter what - the bug is real. :)


It could even be that the frames from the lost souls are being used for somthing else. In fact, that's usually the best way to get a crash at the credit screen - use a monsters frames for something they weren't intended for, but don't edit the original monster to remove the references to its frames. Not a problem in game because you don't use the monster, but when the credits roll...

a) Agreed.

b) It's certainly a crash, but not necessarily a bug. If you are forcing Zdoom to do something it isn't supposed to, admittedly it could handle it a bit more neatly, but there isn't a reason to expect it to. eg If I drive my car into a wall and is crashes, the car was working properly, doing what it was supposed to. I forced it into the wall. It's not the car's fault it got all bent and non functional. :)

But, meh! the crash could be a Zdoom problem. I dunno. I'm just guessing. As a matter of interest, how do other ports handle the end credits?
User avatar
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain
 
 
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Location: Scotland

Postby arcticwolf » Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:17 am

Enjay wrote:
arcticwolf wrote:I'm not sure what the lost souls are used for (not for new enemies, definitely), but the problem is that a) it's not specifically for ZDoom and b) a crash is a crash is a crash no matter what - the bug is real. :)


It could even be that the frames from the lost souls are being used for somthing else. In fact, that's usually the best way to get a crash at the credit screen - use a monsters frames for something they weren't intended for, but don't edit the original monster to remove the references to its frames. Not a problem in game because you don't use the monster, but when the credits roll...

a) Agreed.

b) It's certainly a crash, but not necessarily a bug. If you are forcing Zdoom to do something it isn't supposed to, admittedly it could handle it a bit more neatly, but there isn't a reason to expect it to. eg If I drive my car into a wall and is crashes, the car was working properly, doing what it was supposed to. I forced it into the wall. It's not the car's fault it got all bent and non functional. :)

But, meh! the crash could be a Zdoom problem. I dunno. I'm just guessing. As a matter of interest, how do other ports handle the end credits?


I don't know - I don't usually play any other ports, although I could try when later today. Outside of that, no matter what you say, a segfault is *always* a bug; the car analogy doesn't really work, I think, and the fact that there are WADs out there which trigger it means it's a bug that needs to be fixed, too. Sure, you can always say "it's not a bug, it's a feature", "it's not a bug, the WAD / DEH files are just violating the specs" etc., but that won't change the fact that ZDoom did crash.

:)
User avatar
arcticwolf
Canis lupus arctos
 
Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Location: The world

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:10 am

arcticwolf wrote:
I don't know - I don't usually play any other ports, although I could try when later today. Outside of that, no matter what you say, a segfault is *always* a bug; the car analogy doesn't really work, I think, and the fact that there are WADs out there which trigger it means it's a bug that needs to be fixed, too. Sure, you can always say "it's not a bug, it's a feature", "it's not a bug, the WAD / DEH files are just violating the specs" etc., but that won't change the fact that ZDoom did crash.

:)


Wrong! As a programmer I can assure you that no matter how careful you are, you can always feed any program some data which causes some kind of crash. Some stuff you can't even recognize until it's too late for any safe exit.
User avatar
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Location: Germany

Postby HotWax » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:47 am

LOL. Are you sure about that, cause I can write up a really quick program that takes one line of input and would be fully crash-proof. ^_^
User avatar
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.
 
Joined: 18 Jul 2003
Location: Idaho Falls, ID

Postby Cyb » Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:02 pm

that's what you think :P
Cyb
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003

Postby randomlag » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:12 pm

Enjay wrote:If I drive my car into a wall and is crashes, the car was working properly, doing what it was supposed to. I forced it into the wall. It's not the car's fault it got all bent and non functional. :)
Ah, I bet that usually happens when you leave the pub late at night :shock:
User avatar
randomlag
 
Joined: 17 Jul 2003

Postby Hirogen2 » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:46 am

I never knew windows programs drank so much :P
User avatar
Hirogen2
 
Joined: 19 Jul 2003
Location: Central Germany
Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Enjay » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:15 am

randomlag wrote:Ah, I bet that usually happens when you leave the pub late at night :shock:


Ahhh, well that's where living only 3 doors from the only public facility in my village comes in handy. The public facility? The pub of course :) Just a 1 minute walk from my house and a 5 minute walk back. ;)

I have crashed into a wall, but that was due to teenage stupidity, excessive speed, an unpredicatable road surface, an even more unpredicatble driver (me), and a suspension strut that was so rusty it collapsed into the engine comprtment on hitting a dip in the road - effectively leaving me with 1 front wheel missing at over 85 mph. :shock:

Hirogen2 wrote:I never knew windows programs drank so much :P


Well, it would explain things wouldn't it?
User avatar
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain
 
 
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Location: Scotland

Postby randi » Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:24 pm

Fixed for 2.0.48/2.1.0.
User avatar
randi
Site Admin
 
Joined: 09 Jul 2003


Return to Closed Bugs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests