[f4d9ad112] Broken shaded IMGZ graphics

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[f4d9ad112] Broken shaded IMGZ graphics

Post by phantombeta »

Commit f4d9ad112 has broken shaded IMGZ graphics. This affects all renderers.
This can be easily seen with GZDoom's built-in crosshairs.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: [f4d9ad112] Broken shaded IMGZ graphics

Post by Major Cooke »

I think he addressed it. Is it still broken?
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

I tested the latest successful build of the master branch from AppVeyor (commit de0a8152), and it's definitely not fixed. The only changes after that commit are to the alphatex2 branch.
From what I can see, it might have been fixed an hour ago in the alphatex2 branch. I can't test that, however, as the AppVeyor builds failed and I very much do not want to spend nearly half an hour compiling that. (Specially considering that it's very likely that compilation is currently broken on that branch)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

This stuff is right in the middle of testing. If you want to help out, you can provide links to various image formats GZdoom is supposed to support (like special JPEG and TGA formats, and especially DDS images). The more stuff I can throw at it, the better.
Also keep in mind that it needs to be tested in the following environments:

1. OpenGL hardware renderer
2. OpenGL software 2D
3. Direct3D software 2D
4. software rendering

So this is going to take a bit more time to check all those many possible paths the code can go and ensure that everything works as expected. The HW2D interfaces for the software renderer are particularly problematic because they were written with very little foresight and are just able to do the stuff that was needed at the time. (Yes, the GL version, too, because it's just a direct port of the D3D code to OpenGL with all the shortcomings and problems of that original code.
I hope to get this done over the coming weekend.

After the next release I am planning to do a major refactor of the 2D rendering because it has become close to unworkable, so for HW2D I'm probably just adding a quick band-aid fix to make work what has been working before. No need to spend days at code that will get thrown out anyway later.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I just completed verification of true color texture generation. In that path everything I was able to test works correctly.

The few formats I was unable to find or create images for are some of the more exotic TGA variations and 4 bit PCX. I actually have a 4 bit PCX but it's a different format variation than what is supported. Not worth bothering, though. For PCX only the 8 and 24 bit variants are important.

For testing the paletted version it has become too late. I'm going to do that tomorrow and afterward fix alphatexture display on HW2D.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Everything has been tested and fixed. My latest tests showed every graphics format I could come by being displayed correctly.

Interestingly some had been broken since they were added, most notably PCX 1 bit which crashed the decoder if the image's width was not a multiple of 8 and several DDS formats.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”