[Fixed] Using highres textures screws them

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

What scale number? The default "scale number" is 8. There is no point in letting it go over 255.
Nice post, Cyb.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Hirogen2 wrote:What scale number? The default "scale number" is 8. There is no point in letting it go over 255.
Nice post, Cyb.
That was his point, meathead. The scale takes up a byte, each short int takes 2, hence the scale values (x and y) only take up one of the unused ints. Capiche?
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

so this hasent been fixed yet? :(
randi
Site Admin

Re: Using highres textures screws them

Post by randi »

Hirogen2 wrote:the sky... (it is not the usual size but you see it's not working)
Will you make me a copy of your texture wad with just the sky?
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

1. bigsky.wad - a reduced zrtxhtic.wad, so use bigsky.wad with the Heretic IWAD (E1M1 will look crappy but, this is about the sky...)
2. tex.wad - load this up and you will get the message '(number) >= wnumlumps', although it has nothing to do with wnumlumps! Instead, it is about patches missing. You might want to make an appropriate error message.

http://linux01.org:2222/f/sky-n-tex.cab (274KB)

Edit: Guys, I do not know why you're downloading this, it's just useful for Randy :P
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Alright, I turned the unused word between the texture name and the scale values into a flags word. Now the maptexture definition in the wad starts like this:

Code: Select all

char name[8];
WORD Flags;
BYTE ScaleX;
BYTE ScaleY;
At present (and probably forever), there is only one flag defined: 0x8000 will cause the texture to offset by world units instead of by texels.

However, while testing with your wad, I found out that whatever program you used to create the textures cannot properly create tall patches with holes. MIDBRONZ is probably the best example of this. See the attached screenshot.
Attachments
bad_midbronz.png
bad_midbronz.png (76.75 KiB) Viewed 1327 times
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

DeepSea's fault. I will correct that in a future re-release, probably when PNG and hires support is in ^_^
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Dude, you WANT to incur His wrath, don't you?
randomlag

Post by randomlag »

Hirogen2 wrote:DeepSea's fault. I will correct that in a future re-release, probably when PNG and hires support is in ^_^
The least you can do is REMEMBER what you did. You used XWE and this is done by XWE. I've known this problem for a long time:)

The reason this happened is that you got confused on the transparency issue and did not follow my advice about changing the transparency color and instead used XWE (edit: or when you used the scaling it changed it when you saved?)

Proof: Easy, if you use DeePsea the lumpsize is different. There are also other anomalies I leave for others to discover.

IOW XWE's fault 8-)
Last edited by randomlag on Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

randomlag wrote:The reason this happened is that you got confused on the transparency issue and did not follow my advice about changing the transparency color and instead used XWE.
Nah after I saw that XWE was not able to handel >509 I switch to Deepsea and, maybe I changed transparency maybe not. If it doesnot settle with the default cyan in index 247.... can't remember. :P
randomlag

Post by randomlag »

Hirogen2 wrote:
randomlag wrote:The reason this happened is that you got confused on the transparency issue and did not follow my advice about changing the transparency color and instead used XWE.
Nah after I saw that XWE was not able to handel >509 I switch to Deepsea and, maybe I changed transparency maybe not. Can't remember. :P
These were made by XWE. I don't post unless I verify the facts. Do it yourself, you will find that the lump sizes do not match. On top of that the very first offset entry made by DeePsea vs XWE is different.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Ironically, XWE doesn't even display them correctly, even though it created them.
randomlag

Release an interim version?

Post by randomlag »

randy wrote:Alright, I turned the unused word between the texture name and the scale values into a flags word. Now the maptexture definition in the wad starts like this:

Code: Select all

char name[8];
WORD Flags;
BYTE ScaleX;
BYTE ScaleY;
Done :D v11.83 has this and automatic DECORATE support added.

You might consider one more flag bit - that's to automatically scale to the original DOOM texture so that no scaling has to be done by the user (ala the external formats).

It may make sense to release an interim version with support for the latest since there will be a lot better feedback on anything new done. Eg. TX, this and that.
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

randy wrote:Ironically, XWE doesn't even display them correctly, even though it created them.
It looks to me more like it (XWE) does not create them correct, because they show up both fux0red in XWE and Doom.
Last edited by Hirogen2 on Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

(Is anyone else of the opinion that a simple "No, you're mistaken, Hirogen, it was actually XWE that broke those textures." would have sufficed?)

/me sacrifices newly created segs to appease the great God of the Deep lest he continue to rant pointlessly.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”