[3.2.5] A_Quake doesn't seem to do anything in my melee puff

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

[3.2.5] A_Quake doesn't seem to do anything in my melee puff

Post by wildweasel »

I've had some code since ww-doomnukem.pk3, for a melee puff that has an A_Quake effect in it for a bit of added visceral effect. I discovered that the A_Quake no longer seems to be doing anything in GZDoom 3.2.5.

Demo file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N-wGe- ... sp=sharing

To test:
- Start new game.
- Give weapons.
- The "demo fist" is on slot 9.
- Hold "Fire" to stick your hand out. It "fires" its A_CustomPunch every 4 tics. If it hits a wall, you should hear a gunshot. If it hits an enemy, you should hear barking. In both cases, you know the puff is actually appearing. But the A_Quake in said puff is not being executed at all - holding your hand against a wall does not cause shaking.

As far as I know, this previously worked fine back in 2.4 but haven't tested any releases in between. The only change I can find in the commits between those versions that even relates to A_Quake is this one.
Major Cooke

Re: [3.2.5] A_Quake doesn't seem to do anything in my melee

Post by Major Cooke »

Can't check at the moment but last I recall, they've been changed to destroy the actual quaker class the moment the base calling actor is destroyed. Thus, the moment it disappears, the quakes will stops.

Double check the tics you have for the puff. If they're 0, extend them to the duration you have entered into A_Quake.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: [3.2.5] A_Quake doesn't seem to do anything in my melee

Post by wildweasel »

It frustrates me that I wasn't able to find anything about this in my searching, but yes, the actor has no duration before it disappears. I'll have to rethink how this actor is written, then.

[edit] ...and get around to updating ww-doomnukem with the fix as well.

[edit edit] Indeed that was the problem. I suppose it's better this way, but I guess I'm still frustrated. This can be closed.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”