Game slightly tears, despite vsync being enabled

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
dpJudas

Re: Game slightly tears, despite vsync being enabled

Post by dpJudas »

Yes, it is using adaptive vsync if the OpenGL driver supports it. There's currently no option to disable that behavior, but of course we could make vid_vsync into a three-state thing: 0 = off, 1 = adaptive, 2 = always.

As for triple buffering, not worth the problems involved in supporting it. Right now GZDoom does a glFinish after swapping the buffers. If that glFinish is commented out all kinds of visual artifacts appear, probably due to the way the pinned VBO is being filled.

Note: I didn't add the feature to GZDoom, so I don't know when it was introduced.
De-M-oN

Post by De-M-oN »

ohhhh okay if it is just adaptive it explains everything.
Yes then I would be very happy if you could make it so that I can have a permanent vsync. Also permanent vsync runs for some reason more smooth for me too. The forth and back switching from vsync on and off causes for me more fps swap/stuttering than a permanent vsync for me does.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

This has been addressed some time ago: set gl_control_tear to 0 and adaptive VSync will be disabled.
De-M-oN

Post by De-M-oN »

cool. Then I dont have to force it by nvidia driver anymore :P

But wouldnt it have been simpler if it would be like this in the menu?

Vsync Mode: Off | Adaptive | On

instead of this hidden console cvar?

Else I would at least rename the vsync option in menu to
Adaptive Vsync : On | Off
Because if I read
Vsync: On | Off
I expect it to be a real vsync and not adaptive.

Adaptive is in my case terrible. The switch between vsync on and off inbetween adaptive vsync has a likelihood of a slight stutter while this happens (at least this was the case with Blood 2)
and
like I mentioned already in this thread I got a teared videocapture due to it. With a capture card it must be permanent vsync.

like said:
Vsync Mode: Off | Adaptive | On

Would make to me the most sense. What do you think about this?

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”