GZDoom: WAD file case sensitivity on Linux

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.

GZDoom: WAD file case sensitivity on Linux

Post by Guest »

Hi there, I have already asked about this issue on the IRC channel, but people redirected me on this page.

Last weekend, I tried to run this source port on my Linux laptop but got an unusal error message saying that it couldn't find the WAD files.
My setup is a bit weird since I have made a script that automatically pulls, compiles and installs the game for me in a pre-defined folder. It allows me to follow code changes without doing those steps manually, pretty cool when you have multiple projects you want to follow.
Since I had never got such an error and didn't make any recent changes into my setup (I obviously had the files at the right place), I decided to investigate on the issue.

The orignal message came from https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/blo ... d.cpp#L625 .

After few minutes, I went to the conclusion that my main WAD files are named in capital letters (DOOM.WAD, DOOM2.WAD) and that the game searches for lowercase WAD files.
It is not a problem on Windows or MacOS, since the filesystem is itself case insentive from the user perspective, but for Linux it is not, it makes a huge difference.

Since it was working in the past, I was able to track the commit that introduced this issue which was made about two weeks ago ( https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/com ... c032e970bf ).
I did test by reverting the commit and observing that it did correctly detect my files.

Are there any possibilities to revert this commit in your master branch as well?

Have a nice evening
_mental_

Re: GZDoom: WAD file case sensitivity on Linux

Post by _mental_ »

Fixed in 85ffeeb.

Re: GZDoom: WAD file case sensitivity on Linux

Post by Guest »

I confirm this is fixed, thanks for this quick reaction!

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”