Vanilla transparent doors not rendered correctly

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
zrakbz

Vanilla transparent doors not rendered correctly

Post by zrakbz »

Using QZDoom 1.3.0, software renderer, truecolour off.

This way of making transparent doors in vanilla seems to give flat bleedings while opening/closing doors.
Vanilla does not give bleedings, 2.8.1 does not, hell, even the OpenGL renderer does not!
Nodebuilder used was BSP.

I've attached a demo map with both a lift-door and a regular door made using this technique. Also I've made all the sectors that comprise the door have different flats so that you can see what's bleeding.
Attachments
transparent-bug.wad
map01, 4 kb, works in vanilla
(3.93 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Vanilla transparent doors not rendered correctly

Post by Rachael »

Ugh. I suspect that this has to do with loading GL data.

I am not sure whether it's feasible to actually support anything which requires this kind of node trickery, anyhow. It works in GZDoom because of a lack of handling of such edge cases like this (GZDoom doesn't deal with unclosed sectors as gracefully as the vanilla renderer does).
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

With render tricks that depend on specific node construction all bets are off.
This cannot be said clearly enough: Any trick that depends on unclosed sectors is a gamble and will surely cause problems with some source port out there. Fortunately there's ways to do transparent doors which do not need open sectors to begin with and this specific one is quite rare - presumably because it's a shot in the dark and entirely depends on how the node builder deals with open sectors.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I choose not to support this "feature", then, and I am pretty sure dpJudas has no interest in it, either.

Sorry, but the amount of work required just to make this work would be too much. Off this goes.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

I totally agree on this one. Edge case quirks that wasn't remotely intended as a feature in original Doom should not have to be supported. At least don't expect me to do the work required, unless I discover I can fix it in less than one hour. Those that chose to generate a broken BSP have only themselves to blame.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”