[Bugfix] Vel3DFromAngle pitch + angle backwards

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

[Bugfix] Vel3DFromAngle pitch + angle backwards

Post by Major Cooke »

Bugfix

The action function call was passing the pitch and angle values to the internal function invertedly.

Code: Select all

void Vel3DFromAngle(DAngle angle, DAngle pitch, double speed)
	{
		double cospitch = pitch.Cos();
		Vel.X = speed * cospitch * angle.Cos();
		Vel.Y = speed * cospitch * angle.Sin();
		Vel.Z = speed * -pitch.Sin();
	}
As you can see from my commit, they were sent in backwards, which resulted in very unpredictable and erratic behavior upon my usage of the function.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: [Bugfix] Vel3DFromAngle pitch + angle backwards

Post by Rachael »

Several things:

1. While it's good that you've taken initiative to fix this bug, a full bug report is still needed - particularly testable samples to verify the bug itself and verify the fix. Please see here. You did good in at least articulating what is going on, though, so that's good. Kudos for that. :)

2. Is this repairing code you've personally submitted previously? (Doesn't make much difference in this case, but it does help, at least for me, personally, to know)

3. Lastly, how long has the bug been present in GZDoom? If this bug has endured at least one release cycle, then we should expect that mods may have already been made which expect this buggy behavior. "Fixing" it may require a version check, depending on how widespread the use of this function is. This particular caveat applies because it affects how mods function - but if, as you say, the function was too unpredictable, anyway, then this issue might not apply.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

1. I don't post examples for things like this because I want to make sure, first and foremost, that it's actually the correct thing to bugfix. Otherwise I'm wasting my time and effort, especially over something clearly small and simple.

2. No.

3. No idea. And I don't know where to look either for its since Graf mass-exported many times.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

This was wrong. The internal code did not use this function so I hadn't noticed yet and if someone had used it, noticing that the arguments were swapped without reporting it, I cannot help those people.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”