Huge lag with "legacy" intel hd in 64 bits builds

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
ibm5155

Huge lag with "legacy" intel hd in 64 bits builds

Post by ibm5155 »

Idk why the heck but for some reason, all the 64bits (or at least the all the ones from 3.1.0 till 2.4) makes the gpu sleep, while the 32-bits build doesn't suffer from that.

Only the legacy intel hd graphics suffer from that (by legacy I mean intel hd 4000 and older ones), and the vid_fps 1 that fixed the problem on zandronum with the same bug didn't have fixed the lag on gzdoom ;--;

+The game also Works fine in 64bits if I try to run in software with opengl backend.

Idk with that I could help here,the only thing I can say is that it only happens with Windows 10 creators update and that intel doesn't update the drivers for about a year for the "legacy" line.

-This huge lag doesn't happen with other games and it doesn't happen in gzdoom if I try to run with an AMD GPU.

Graf Help D:

OFF:Idk if it's the right place to post this or if it should go to general.

Idk if that helps but some time ago I did a data log from zandronum (was suffering from the same problem) about the gpu/cpu usage in those lag moments, here's the data that I've collected: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AurELTq1jbljkbkHAzRdXdsbYCyxnA

And here's an example vídeo of what's going on with the bug in zandronum:

Sorry for not doing more tests in gzdoom, I'll do later, I only have those error logs before because I was trying to figure out why zandronum was having alot of lag,
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Huge lag with "legacy" intel hd in 64 bits builds

Post by Graf Zahl »

This sounds like the driver is hitting the software emulation fallback for something that got added recently. Since I do not use Windows 10 I am in no position to check it.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

If this is what I think it is, this is an issue with the Intel drivers, not GZDoom.

I think it is related to your GPU temps, where the GPU shuts itself down rather conservatively compared to the rest of the system. When that happens the driver stops responding and you cannot kick it back into gear again until you restart GZDoom.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

Rachael wrote:If this is what I think it is, this is an issue with the Intel drivers, not GZDoom.

I think it is related to your GPU temps, where the GPU shuts itself down rather conservatively compared to the rest of the system. When that happens the driver stops responding and you cannot kick it back into gear again until you restart GZDoom.
On that vídeo the 0ºC 0% and 0MHz data are from the amd gpu (when it's not in use it simply shut down, the data below that shows the HD 4000 is the intel gpu)
EDIT:
Before I miss, the problem doesn't happen if I compile zandronum in debug mode, I also shall try to compile gzdoom in 64 bits in debug mode

EDIT2: uh, in gzdoom case not even in debug mode helped a bit D: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AurELTq1jbljkb0vbo97yjyEQIAzlQ
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Debug mode accesses the GPU less often, which keeps temps lower.

Try "cl_capfps true" or "vid_vsync true" - it will usually take longer before the Intel GPU shuts down.

As I said, I think the issue is in the driver itself. There's nothing that GZDoom can really do, here, because it is at the mercy of the drivers' decisions in this case. You may notice running other applications on your Intel, especially more intensive ones (try games from 2013 and later) will cause a shutdown more frequently if improperly configured.

Also - you will have to monitor your CPU temps. The GPU, for whatever reason, does not include its own temp monitoring system, but since it is on the same die as your CPU anyway, the CPU temps will be closely related as heat dissipates from the graphics core.
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

I just asked for a help in the Microsoft fórum and they sugested me to post my iuse in the feedback hub app ¬¬
gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by gwHero »

Glad I stumbled upon this post. I am experiencing similar problems on my machine, a Dell laptop that's about 4 years old (maybe a little bit more) (i5, dual core, 6GB ram), with the same Intel HD Graphics 4000 video card, also with Windows 10.

Since a few months, after a security update from Microsoft, GZDoom does not perform at all anymore on this machine when I am using OpenGL, although the pc itself is still functioning well enough for me. Uninstalling this update restored the working of GZDoom, but of course, the update was applied again each time within a few days, and since a couple of updates more, including the creator's update, this trick didn't help anymore. Up till now, Intel has not provided a driver update (as far as I know).

Luckily the software renderer still performs great (thank you developers for that!), but since I am busy working on a complete game in GZDoom, I also want to test it now and than in OPENGL, and since it just didn't occur to me trying the 32bit version, I was testing it on another machine.

But after reading this, I downloaded the GZDoom 32bit version, and yes! it performs again :D
So now I use GZDOOM 64 bit for the software renderer, and 32 bit for OpenGL. For me, at least for the time being: problem solved...
XristoferLee

Post by XristoferLee »

So if i use the 32 bit edition it will solve the opengl issue? Will I lose anything by doing this because my system is 64 bit?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

If 32 bit works and 64 bit does not, there's something very wrong with your system. What you may lose is support for mods that require a large amount of RAM, but those are exceedingly rare.
XristoferLee

Post by XristoferLee »

There is now an update for the intel hd 4000 driver. The site says its the old one but if you download and install it says april 2017
gwHero

Post by gwHero »

Confirmed. Installed this newer version from the Intel site that was only recently added; all versions of GZDoom including OPENGL 64 bit are working fine again.
XristoferLee

Post by XristoferLee »

Glad I could be of assistance.
gwHero

Post by gwHero »

Much appreciated!
XristoferLee

Post by XristoferLee »

Sorry to keep bumping this post but there is yet another updated to the intel hd 4000 driver that will further fix this issue. Seem with ever update of gzdoom opengl gives intel users problems so here is the link. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... duct=81499
ibm5155

Post by ibm5155 »

Indeed the "new" update driver from the intel hd 4000 has fixed the problem with Gzdoom.
Well, too bad it didn't have fixed the zandronum one :(

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”