Menu selector oddity

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Nash

Menu selector oddity

Post by Nash »

Sorry I can't fit a good description in the thread title...

When you have mouse enabled for the menu, if your mouse cursor is outside of the selectable region, the skull cursor becomes invisible. That's normal.

However, now if you try to move the selection with the arrow keys on your keyboard (while the mouse cursor is still outside the box), the skull cursor stays invsible. But you can hear the selector sound being played.

If I'm not mistaken, the previous behavior was, the skull cursor will be forced to be visible again when you use the keyboard. Regardless of where your mouse pointer actually is on the screen.
Nash

Re: Menu selector oddity

Post by Nash »

Nash wrote: If I'm not mistaken, the previous behavior was, the skull cursor will be forced to be visible again when you use the keyboard. Regardless of where your mouse pointer actually is on the screen.
I wasn't mistaken... it works correctly in GZDoom 2.4.0. I'm guessing this is just some minor problem in the menu's ZScript.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Actually this sounds like the mouse is sending some micro-move events. In that case you have to set the menu to touchscreen-like because it cannot be controlled with the regular setup (which, btw, was done against my clear recommendation because of precisely this problem.)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Okay, no problem. It doesn't bother me THAT much; the UI remains fully functional for everyday usage, considering I exclusively use the mouse to point and click things in the menu.
GFD
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by GFD »

The non-touchscreen-like mouse mode's usability in situations like this could theoretically be improved by only changing the current selection when the mouse moves over a selection that's different from the one it was last known to be hovering over, rather than just whenever it moves. Another improvement, if GZDoom doesn't already do this, would be only counting the mouse as having moved when the cursor moves at least one pixel.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”