ZDoom.org Front Page Redesign

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: ZDoom.org Front Page Redesign

Post by Matt »

Bunch up too close, or bunch up to something reasonably compact?

The "Shoot it until it dies" should definitely have some decals on the walls.

Re: circles, lookin' decent!
(unsolicited side note re: squares, I liked the befuddled looking doomguy for "Documentation" better.)
arookas

Post by arookas »

I tried the site on mobile and found two minor layout bugs:

Image Image
Xaser wrote:The tricky part of that sentence is "with whatever" -- what's "whatever"? Removing it entirely is going to make the content bunch up too close and I don't have any ideas on what to slot into that space at present, so some ideas on that front would be helpful.
This is already what's done between the "latest news" and "get started" sections. Extra margin at the top and bottom of each section could be added if the content is too close without the picture.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

@arookas: Hmm, the rightmost issue looks like something another user reported on their iPhone. It's probably flex-basis being weird again, if I were to guess.

The troublesome part here is I don't have an Apple device to test with, and I'm not quite sure when I'll be able to get my hands on one. It's a pretty absurd situation, but everyone I know who'd be willing to let me borrow their phone for a bit all use Android... or Windows Phone. Not even joking on that one. :P
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Do you know what bothers me? "Almost unlimited". :P
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

*replaces with "kinda-sorta-unlimited-like-not-technically-but-practically-so"* :P

On that front, the wording on all those Start page blurbs ought to be considered a "first draft", as I hammered them out without much forethought and haven't touched them since. Suggestions on that front would be most welcome.

The only thing I'm kinda attached to is "Beyond Doom" as a tagline; it's short, succinct, and captures ZDoom's identity in a nutshell.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Xaser wrote:kinda-sorta-unlimited-like-not-technically-but-practically-so
Perfect! Short, punchy, straight to the point, rolls off the tongue easily... ;)
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Xaser wrote:The only thing I'm kinda attached to is "Beyond Doom" as a tagline; it's short, succinct, and captures ZDoom's identity in a nutshell.
Gotta admit that one specifically is my own least favourite! It just makes me think of one of the following:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100647034 ick
https://www.beyondunreal.com/ not a "bad" association but a meaningless one, so it's a bit offputting when there's no actual connection and the brain just kinda stumbles over it

I'm not sure if that byline is even necessary or helpful given the content right below it.

(Would it be possible to use, like, some other font for those titles in any event? The default now seems oddly... incomplete somehow)

I like the other two as they are now, but for the first I'd suggest "modern computers" instead of "the modern era" since we're also not adding in DRM, DLC and the corruption inherent to huge corporate investor dollars here :)

Or possibly...

Maximum Dooming / Maximum Game Support / Maximum Mod Support?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Xaser wrote:The only thing I'm kinda attached to is "Beyond Doom" as a tagline; it's short, succinct, and captures ZDoom's identity in a nutshell.
Beyond Thunderdoom
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Gez wrote:Beyond Thunderdoom
ZDoom 3.0? ;)
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

I'm of the opinion that "Not Just Doom" would work in the stead of "Beyond Doom". I tried to think of something clever involving "idTech1" until I noticed it was already part of the circle image content.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I'll take "Beyond Doom" over "Not Just Doom" which is phonetically clunky and semantically negative.

EDIT: Seconding Gez's suggestion below.
Last edited by Matt on Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gez

Post by Gez »

"Doom and more!"

"More than Doom"?

"This is a ZDoom. And this... ...this is what is known as a ZDoom that has ascended past a ZDoom. Or, you could just call this a GZDoom. And this... IS... TO GO... EVEN... FURTHER... BEYOND!!"
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

I'm about to change it to "I AM A ZDOOM" and be done with it. :P
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Gez wrote:"This is a ZDoom. And this... ...this is what is known as a ZDoom that has ascended past a ZDoom. Or, you could just call this a GZDoom. And this... IS... TO GO... EVEN... FURTHER... BEYOND!!"
To Doomfinity and beyond!!!!11111one
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Sometimes I miss the days when adding 1s/ones to the end of exclamation points was generally socially acceptable. Then I snap to and curse myself for harboring such evil desires. :P

Back on topic: I suspect the footer card box sizing issue in Safari is this, and I've just pushed up a site update that hopefully remedies it. With apologies for testing-by-proxy, would someone with an Apple device kindly take a look? I'd love to get this last known bug marked off the list for good.
Last edited by Xaser on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”