[Resolved] WadAuthor config bug

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.

WadAuthor config bug

Postby The Ultimate DooMer » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:04 pm

When you edit the specials section of the wcf (eg. adding new ones), it screws up the specials in the dialogue boxes, blanking out several sections as if the specials weren't there. Recalling the unmodified specials section from the original zdoom.wcf rights the problem again.

Does anyone else have trouble with this?
The Ultimate DooMer
Will you start the fans please!

Postby Biff » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:05 pm

Yes, probably exactly the same. With the recent additions to my .wcf, some specials which used to appear now do not appear in the list and the argument boxes are grayed out. Haven't tried to find the offending entry yet.
Biff
Caleb is back for a visit

Postby Biff » Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:37 pm

This line is causing the problem:

0x0b0 10 Thing_ChangeTID( tid, newtid )

as soon as I do this, WA is happy:

;0x0b0 10 Thing_ChangeTID( tid, newtid )

I tried replacing the 0x0b0 with 176, that does not fix the problem. Any ideas?
Biff

Postby randi » Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:40 pm

How about:

176 10 Thing_ChangeTID( tid, newtid, -, -, - )

Edit: Removed the *. I was thinking of line specials when I wrote that, and things don't need it.
Last edited by randi on Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
randi
Site Admin

Postby Biff » Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:09 pm

It's fine Randy. This too:

0x0b0 10 Thing_ChangeTID( tid, newtid, -, -, - )

Doh I feel stupid now, it's obvious that each entry in that part of the .wcf file has to account for five arguments.
Biff

Postby cccp_leha » Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:41 pm

Like I mentioned before, the asterik before the paren's
0x0b0 10 Thing_ChangeTID*( tid, newtid, -, -, - ) should allow the args to be editable?
cccp_leha
Words are silver; silence is gold... so stfu.

Postby Cyb » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:24 pm

I'm pretty sure that's only for thing arguments for things that have arguments and can't have a special assigned to them (skybox picker, player starts etc)
Cyb

Postby cccp_leha » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:38 pm

Cyb wrote:I'm pretty sure that's only for thing arguments for things that have arguments and can't have a special assigned to them (skybox picker, player starts etc)

True, but heh.
cccp_leha

Postby Cyb » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:17 am

weird wording yes, I'm tired :P

I meant it as things normally don't take arguments (their specials do), but yeah
Cyb

Postby cccp_leha » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:26 am

You mean the thing specials as in (WA) the ones selected in the drop-down menu, after which the argument fileds become active? Because the slope things have no specials (?) it doesn't make sense to until we have moving slopes; but they already have the arguments editable.
cccp_leha

Postby Cyb » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:01 am

okay well look at it this way, hexen things have six extra bytes (actually it's 10, but the tid is unimportant for this) which normally are used to specify special, arg0, arg1, arg2, arg3 and arg4 (the special and five arguments). Now, most things (enemies mainly execute specials though) can have a special for when you kill it or pick it up, however there are things specific to zdoom that cannot have a special assigned to them because their arguments are used for other purposes (usually level behavior pertaining to the sector the thing resides in) because all things must be the same size (note that even if a thing has no special and no arguments set it still takes up the same amount of space in a wad as a thing with special 80 and all five arguments filled in). so if a thing uses it's args for other purposes it can't have a special really since the special will either have the wrong number of args or you won't get the proper behavior from the thing and/or the special the thing executes... I hope that makes sense heh
Cyb

Postby Biff » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:39 pm

If anyone needs, I've put the repaired files (zdoom and zheretic) at
http://home.earthlink.net/~mjblakely/data/wcf.zip
Biff

Postby cccp_leha » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:49 pm

Cyb, I shall ponder for a while :)
cccp_leha

Return to Closed Bugs