[HEAD, Linux, ARM] Zdoom crashes on exit again ...

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
vanfanel

Re: [HEAD, Linux, ARM] Zdoom crashes on exit again ...

Post by vanfanel »

I have news on the ZDOOM crash on exit: it's crashing if -O3 is used to build. -O2 is fine and there are no crashes or anything. Maybe another GCC error on ARM?

The problem with this is that building with -O0 -ggdb to debug avoids the crash so there's no way I know to debug it anyway.

Ah, please: where is O3 level specified as default?? I had to manually change every O3 to O2 on my build directory in order to build with -O2 instead of -O3... please, can you tell me guys? I don't want to do that again.
Last edited by vanfanel on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Ugh. Probably. Does it do that if you try to use Clang on ARM? (Sorry, I've never tried it before, and I am not sure if you are able to, but it might be worth a shot)
vanfanel

Post by vanfanel »

@Eruanna: I recall having tried CLANG at some point with no success.
Changing the optimization level did the trick. Just need to know how to do it without having to go through my build subdirs manually...
Anyway, I will be eagerly waiting GLES support on GZDOOM :D
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

In ZDoom and derived ports CMake is configured to generate makefiles with Debug configuration by default, with no optimization and additional information for GDB.

Hard to say why -O3 was used everywhere. Did you set CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS manually?
There are several variables in fact, one common and one per each configuration.
By the way you can use it to specify own flags, like -O3 -g to make optimized executable with debugging information.

Try to run CMake with new output directory perhaps.
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

Eruanna wrote:GZDoom does work just fine on the Pi - I tried it myself - but it does not support OpenGL ES (currently - something I do plan to implement in the future). It runs just fine (albeit extremely slow) with MesaGL, though. The problem is likely missing libraries.

If you need a precompiled ARM version of GZDoom to try, I can send you one, but I have no idea what dependencies it will require. It is best to use "+vid_renderer 0" when starting GZDoom, though.

As for the issue, I suspect this is an issue with SDL. Most of my SDL apps do not exit properly until I kill -9 them.

Also - one more thing - I am sorry to say it, but I just don't think Raspbian works well with ZDoom projects. Personally I use Ubuntu Mate. Its repos are updated enough at least to allow GZDoom to fully compile using the instructions provided in the wiki with no issues.

i know this is old and no one looks at this anymore, but Raspbian deliberately sectioned off OpenGL support to a raspi-config flag. It's based on JWZ's work and carried on by some engineers at broadcom - it's somewhat stable but it's not enough to run GZDoom yet. It's a shame since OpenGLES2 would be more than adequate.

And thanks to my(and many others) constant complaints about the broken libs that ZDoom/GZDoom needed to compile, they have since been fixed and updated in raspbian - but I still recommend building SDL2 from source anyway since that insures you actually get the rpi driver working the first time.

I support 200000% OpenGLES2 support for the Geezy. It would make my life easier for /newstuff reviews, that's for sure.

(Remember: it's OpenGLES 2 - not the first revision. I don't think the Pi supports the older one either.)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Sadly, GLES 2 somewhere falls through the cracks. It requires special adjustment of all shader code, of the texture manager (to handle NPOT textures) and a few other things. Actually, it will create quite a mess in the code base to support an old standard.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”