[Not a bug] Weapon mod compatibility bug

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Weapon mod compatibility bug

Postby NewGustavo6046 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:46 pm

If I load multiple weapon-replacing (or at least weapon-adding) mods, I get into that some certain weapons of their mods 'disappears'. For example, 99 Weapons + Brutal Doom + Omg Weapons = crazyness. Why does this happens, and how to fix it (in an easy way, as such I don't have any WAD editor or whatever they call those... well, I'm modding DECORATE files and putting they in example.zip files and renaming they example.pk3!)
Oh, and how to include WADs?
NewGustavo6046
An BFG ball riding an +FRIEND pain elemental.
Banned User

Re: Weapon mod compatibility bug

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:02 pm

This happens because some weapon mods clear out the weapon slots. The only way to fix this is to edit the mods to use a less destructive way of self-initialization.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Ed the Bat » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:48 pm

May I quote you on that, Graf? I'm so tired of the resistance I keep getting from modders/mappers when I politely ask they not use setslot. Perhaps they'd be less hostile if I had such an eloquent quote from an actual developer.
Ed the Bat
I'm tired. I want to go home.

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:21 pm

The only way you get this kind of ignorant people to listen is to mercilessly abort if setslot is used. Bad habits die hard.
Graf Zahl

Postby NeuralStunner » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:05 pm

From my experience, many modders will assume you're just complaining, not trying to help. (Especially when that's basically all you have to say about the mod.)

Granted, a lot of of the time, trying to load two mods together will break in other ways. Modders won't necessarily see a reason to care.

Personally I use the better methods just because they are better, but I just plain don't care about debugging someone's random problems between my mod and some other it was never intended to work alongside. Maybe it sounds harsh, but I put in enough time and effort making sure my mod is great... It's also a little insulting when someone thinks they have to tack on something else to make it good.
NeuralStunner
I'll Get By

Discord: NeuralStunner#1293
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit

Postby Ed the Bat » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:10 pm

NeuralStunner wrote:From my experience, many modders will assume you're just complaining, not trying to help.

I specifically make it a polite question to avoid this. If I didn't feel so kind, I would simply state how embarrassed they should be, and that their pathetically sloppy code reflects very poorly on their entire project, and by extension, them as a modder.
NeuralStunner wrote:Granted, a lot of of the time, trying to load two mods together will break in other ways. Modders won't necessarily see a reason to care.

Anything else can always be patched over. These destructive methods cannot.
NeuralStunner wrote:Maybe it sounds harsh, but I put in enough time and effort making sure my mod is great...

If you put in the time and effort, then kudos on you. Not everybody does, though, and sometimes parts of their work can be salvaged into an enjoyable experience by adding other mods. Or, someone simply likes to customize how they play -- the entire purpose of mods as a concept.
NeuralStunner wrote: It's also a little insulting when someone thinks they have to tack on something else to make it good.

Even so, that would be no reason to outright STOP them from even being allowed to if they want to. Especially since stopping them (specifically in this case, using the destructive methods) gains you absolutely nothing compared to doing things properly.
Ed the Bat

Postby NeuralStunner » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:32 pm

Ed the Bat wrote:I specifically make it a polite question to avoid this. If I didn't feel so kind, I would simply state how embarrassed they should be, and that their pathetically sloppy code reflects very poorly on their entire project, and by extension, them as a modder.
Depending on the modder, none of those other things might make it any better. Maybe worse, even. :P

Ed the Bat wrote:Even so, that would be no reason to outright STOP them from even being allowed to if they want to.
No, but I'm not going to try to support them doing so, either. Things I don't make are not my responsibility. (Especially if I had an audience like Samsara has ended up with. But I think I could handle backlash as gracefully as Terminus does, just in case. :P )
NeuralStunner
I'll Get By

Postby Ed the Bat » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:37 pm

NeuralStunner wrote:Depending on the modder, none of those other things might make it any better. Maybe worse, even. :P

That's exactly my point. Being so harsh and truthful about it would likely not be received well.

NeuralStunner wrote:No, but I'm not going to try to support them doing so, either. Things I don't make are not my responsibility.

And nor should you have to. Allowing them doesn't mean supporting them; that's entirely on the other modders. But since using the proper methods automatically allows (as in, does not forcibly disallow) external mods, why would you go out of your way to ruin things for others by using the broken methods?
Ed the Bat

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:42 pm

Ed the Bat wrote: why would you go out of your way to ruin things for others by using the broken methods?

Because some people just have to be ignorant, just as a matter of course.
I've seen that far too often in my job: To some people you can argue endlessly, they stubbornly continue to do things in the worst possible way and show no sign of acknowledging other opinions.
Graf Zahl

Postby Ed the Bat » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:44 pm

A sad truth you speak, Graf... it goes for so many things in the world. I just try to be optimistic that I can reach out to my fellow modders in ways that I can't fix similar problems elsewhere in life.
Ed the Bat

Postby NeuralStunner » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:57 pm

Oh, it's not that I disagree. I'm well aware of this problem.
NeuralStunner
I'll Get By

Postby NewGustavo6046 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:43 am

Graf Zahl wrote:The only way to fix this is to edit the mods to use a less destructive way of self-initialization.

But which way, specifically?
"I'm so good for a newbie..."
NewGustavo6046
Banned User

Are you fucking kidding me?

Postby NewGustavo6046 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:46 am

Wait, I actually reported many replies as being Offtopic. You sucks as I can't get a little help from any other than Graf Zahal by reading this topic.
NewGustavo6046
Banned User

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:52 am

You clearly have no idea what the 'report' button is there for - most certainly not for deleting posts from a discussion which you do not agree with.
Let's the forum powers handle this now.

I'm closing this thread now to prevent further pollution (this being the FOURTH thread from you I had to close, that's a new negative record for a single user!)
Graf Zahl

Return to Closed Bugs