[Fixed] Fog flaw

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.

Postby Hirogen2 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:54 am

Sprites in the distance (like the statues in the screenie above) should be displayed as the average between the fog and the actual fullbright color.
(Thu hard with 8bit)
Hirogen2

Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:37 am

Half brightness? I guess that could work. Although I still think an extra parameter specifying the intensity fullbright sprites display at is better. 0 = always fade, 128 = half brightness, 255 = fullbright. Imagine a fullbright sprite fading completely into pitch black fog.. could be a useful effect for something, but currently (Z)Doom wouldn't at all allow that. And if you offset the fade by 1 to make fullbright sprites fade, then you ruin it for people who may want a little tinge, or even a completely different color, with no fullbright fading at all.

And if you do that, the "fog wall" that ZDoom uses on borders from fogged areas to non-fogged ones would use the inverse intensity(255 = no fog wall, 128 = half normal wall translucency, ect..).
Chris

Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Hirogen2 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:43 am

Half brightness, no. Maybe the term "alpha blending the sprite with the fog color with intensity 'distance'" addresses this? I.e. a (stupidtexture) completely red wall (all pixels 0xFF,0x00,0x00) plus a gray fog (say uh C0C0C0) ends up as 0xDF 0x80 0x80 or something like that.
Hirogen2

Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby HotWax » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:40 am

Chris wrote:Umm.. fixed? Forgive my ignorance, but how? Obviously, in maps like Darkmere, and other "fogged" areas, you don't want fullbright sprites lit, but in maps where the fadecolor was off just a little bit(to give, say, a slightly brown-tinged fade effect, which I think what LWM was trying to do some time back), you want them lit still. Maybe adding another parameter to Sector_SetFog, or whatever, to indate whether or not to fade fullbright sprites..

He most likely means that the Hexen method has been restored. That is, in any map with fog (where the fadecolor is anything other than [00 00 00]), fullbright sprites will no longer be fullbright.

This might not be the optimal behavior, but it is the intended behavior.
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Previous

Return to Closed Bugs