[Fixed] [all] Bouncing collision

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

[all] Bouncing collision

Postby TheMisterCat » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:40 am

Are there any plans to ever fix the bouncing code up a little? As it currently stands, bouncing off walls and floors is fine, but anything that hits a ceiling automatically loses all bouncing properties, and anything that lands on top of an actors hitbox falls inside it and becomes stuck
TheMisterCat

Re: [all] Bouncing collision

Postby Gez » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:49 am

What bouncing style and flags are you using? I've successfully made actors that bounced happily forever and ever, including on ceilings.
Gez

Postby TheMisterCat » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:56 am

admittedly I am using skulltag, which has the older bounce flags, but i have tested in zdoom (2.4.1 at least) and if a bouncer falls on top of an actor, it goes straight through (and makes a lot of bouncing noises), loses its momentum. +CANPASS stops it from falling through but it then doesn't bounce. I've tried with all the skulltag-supported bouncetypes, not MBF though
TheMisterCat

Postby randi » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:41 pm

Can you make a demo level to illustrate your problems?
randi
Site Admin

Postby InsaneFury » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:51 pm

I noticed the jumpy/get stuck part with my Caco Football (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26610&p) and I assumed it happened whenever the player touched it (i.e. actor hitbox clash) or when it was close to a wall. Not sure if it's related.
InsaneFury

Postby TheMisterCat » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:58 am

TheMisterCat

Postby TheMisterCat » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:46 am

Is this being looked into at all? The above link is an example...
TheMisterCat

Postby Spleen » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:51 pm

I think this has something to do with the fact that actor bouncing is checked for in P_XYMovement, but not P_ZMovement. This might be fixable by adding an actor bounce check somewhere in P_ZMovement, since a floor bounce check is also there.
Spleen
I'm drunnk1 hehahohee111!!!one

Postby Minigunner » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:01 pm

There's also the fact that if a bouncing actor hits a wall at a near-parallel angle, it will bounce indefinitely on said wall and will move a lot faster.
Minigunner

Discord: Minigunner#5418

Postby unknownna » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:55 am

unknownna wrote:But I noticed that grenades don't explode upon contact with explosive barrels, but instead, simply bounce off them. Using a WAD that Spleen gave me, which replicates the Skulltag grenade launcher in ZDoom, indicates that it works the same way there (GZDoom 323 & ZDoom 2.5.0).

From testing, it seems that grenades are hard-coded to explode upon contact with actors that have the '+SOLID' or '+SHOOTABLE' flag in addition to the '+ISMONSTER' one defined in them. So if you add the '+ISMONSTER' flag to the barrels, the grenades will explode upon contact.

unknownna wrote:IMHO, having grenades exploding upon contact with explosive barrels makes more sense than having them destroy them, then bounce off them, as they currently do. It'd be like removing the 'ISMONSTER' flag from monsters, e.g. 'ZombieMan'. The grenades would harm them upon contact (and probably kill them) and then simply bounce off them.

Gez wrote:So make it a two out of three thing? SOLID MONSTER, SOLID SHOOTABLE, SHOOTABLE MONSTER?

Or just go for SOLID SHOOTABLE and forget the ISMONSTER test?

unknownna wrote:SOLID MONSTER and SHOOTABLE MONSTER is the current behavior. SOLID SHOOTABLE would make grenades explode upon hitting destructible decorative actors, such as the explosive barrel. Since not all SOLID and SHOOTABLE actors are monsters.

SOLID SHOOTABLE definitely sounds like the most reasonable choice, unless it would break anything, of course.

Quoted from here.
unknownna

Postby CaptainToenail » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:43 pm

I experienced all sorts of bouncing bugs with Dodgeball Doom. Balls getting stuck in sloped floors and moving sectors, balls desyncing, sometimes they would even snag on a wall and 'wall-run'.
CaptainToenail

Postby unknownna » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:46 am

CaptainToenail wrote:I experienced all sorts of bouncing bugs with Dodgeball Doom. Balls getting stuck in sloped floors and moving sectors, balls desyncing, sometimes they would even snag on a wall and 'wall-run'.

It's also possible to make grenades bounce into the void.

unknownna

Postby randi » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:51 pm

Sorry it took so long. Fixed what was illustrated in the example wad.
randi
Site Admin

Return to Closed Bugs