[Won't fix] The crosshair position is off

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Willis

The crosshair position is off

Post by Willis »

the crosshair is always too high
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

That's because you don't shoot from your eyes. When you're not standing right in front of the target, the difference is less obvious. Making it 100% accurate would require that the crosshair move up and down based on your distance from the target.
Willis

Post by Willis »

randy wrote:Making it 100% accurate would require that the crosshair move up and down based on your distance from the target.
exactly :)

and of course you dont shoot from your eyes.. but thats why most people have their laser sights are attached to their gun and not their head... unlike the Doom Guy
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Most games that use a crosshair use a stationary crosshair and shoot towards the center of the screen, regardless of where they pretend to shoot from. Doom is unique in that the bullet emerges from the gun and then proceeds to climb towards the center of the screen. The trajectory is not parallel to the ground like in most FPS games.

What you're suggesting is that either A) The trajectory be changed, which would change Doom mechanics, or B) Every frame the crosshair position should be recalculated based on whatever is currently behind it.

In my opinion, A is unacceptable, and B would look like crap AND require a good deal of code to implement.

I'll live with the crosshair being too high when my nose is against the wall.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

you know... if you really hate it that much you can always change the decal ofsetts...
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

Heh, but the correct way is to position the center of the crosshair at the center of the screen. (This doesnot hold true for the F like crosshair)
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

I found this with the railgun, too. When firing from the right (which my railgun does) the crosshair (and the red dot I put on it myself) are way off to the left when up against a wall. But it's understandable and I'm not too bothered anyway, as the railgun is meant to be a sniper weapon.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote:I found this with the railgun, too. When firing from the right (which my railgun does) the crosshair (and the red dot I put on it myself) are way off to the left when up against a wall. But it's understandable and I'm not too bothered anyway, as the railgun is meant to be a sniper weapon.
Yeah, FireRailgunRight and FireRailgunLeft are very strange. I made a railgun that fires from the right, and sometimes a baddie is right on the crosshair, but the shot completely misses. As a result, I'm going to change the sprites and such to make it center-fired, which will be a real drag. :(
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Hirogen2 wrote:Heh, but the correct way is to position the center of the crosshair at the center of the screen. (This doesnot hold true for the F like crosshair)
It IS positioned at the center of the screen. At any distance, the difference between the center of the screen and where the bullet impacts is negligible. When you're right up against a wall or other solid object, the bullet impacts low because the trajectory of the bullet is NOT parallel to the ground as in most FPS games.

Observe: (Go go MS Paint!)
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Xaser wrote:
The Ultimate DooMer wrote:I found this with the railgun, too. When firing from the right (which my railgun does) the crosshair (and the red dot I put on it myself) are way off to the left when up against a wall. But it's understandable and I'm not too bothered anyway, as the railgun is meant to be a sniper weapon.
Yeah, FireRailgunRight and FireRailgunLeft are very strange. I made a railgun that fires from the right, and sometimes a baddie is right on the crosshair, but the shot completely misses. As a result, I'm going to change the sprites and such to make it center-fired, which will be a real drag. :(
You probably won't be able to get a decent firing frame, then. I tried to make a centred railgun and it didn't really look right, so I made a right-sided one instead.
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

Anyway, if you do a head shot, it should not matter, as you are shooting in the mouth then :P which hurts just as a head-short. In ZDoom.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Hirogen2 wrote:Anyway, if you do a head shot, it should not matter, as you are shooting in the mouth then :P which hurts just as a head-short. In ZDoom.
Errr... You mean the same amount as a shot to any other part of the body, right?
Hirogen2

Post by Hirogen2 »

Yes, I mean any other part below the crosshair, if there is any. I cannot exactly tell if this is true but I think Doom (ZDoom?) does not do per-body-part damage identification (that means a head shot would account for more pain and a quicker death than a shot in an armor-protected area.)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Hmm, I've had a railgun that fires on both FireRailgunRight and FireRailgunLeft for quite some time and haven't seen the bugs that Xaser described.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Hirogen2 wrote:Yes, I mean any other part below the crosshair, if there is any. I cannot exactly tell if this is true but I think Doom (ZDoom?) does not do per-body-part damage identification (that means a head shot would account for more pain and a quicker death than a shot in an armor-protected area.)
Doom has never had position-based damage, and neither does ZDoom, nor any other port that I know of. Also, you have to keep in mind that the crosshair IS for the most part accurate. After about 10 feet, the bullet will be within a pixel of the center of the screen when it impacts. The only way you'd be shooting an enemy low is if that enemy was in your face, and the only way you'd miss because of it is if you were staring almost straight at the ground, which you can't even do in the software engine. Hence, the only time this really affects you is when shooting a wall at extremely close range, and I fail to see how that's a problem. If it *really* bothers someone, they can just turn off crosshairs and it'll be just like shooting in Doom. The bullet position will STILL be variable based on distance to the target, they just won't have a crosshair showing them exactly how variable it is.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”