[Can't fix] zdoom map01 plasma cannot be picked up while...

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.

zdoom map01 plasma cannot be picked up while running...

Postby doomer » Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:53 am

I am using Zdoom 2.0.47 on doom2 1.9. I have the following problem - in deathmatch on map01 when running towards the plasma weapon while on the ground I cannot pick it up like I picked it up in the original doom2. How can this be fixed?
doomer

Postby HotWax » Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:00 pm

If you're playing multiplayer, the default behavior is for the weapons to stay on the ground after you pick them up, to allow other players to get ahold of them. To prevent getting massive amounts of ammo just by standing on the weapon, you can't pick it up if you 1) already have the weapon, and 2) have ammo for the weapon.

Is that what you're talking about?
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Biff » Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:59 pm

He means the plasma on the short pillar, which you should have to access when you ride the lift, then jump over. I guess there is a bit of differnce between how doom2.exe "reached" beyond the player, vs. zdoom.
Biff
Caleb is back for a visit

Re : plasma gun map01 pickup

Postby doomer » Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:49 am

It's a pity this has been changed. It was so much fun when you picked up the plasma gun when spawning and running backwards or standing opposite to the switch and again running to the pillar. :(
doomer

Postby randi » Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:41 pm

The Doom physics code is a big mess that just happens to work. I'm not aware of changing anything that would effect this. Since I don't know why this would change, I can't really fix it.
randi
Site Admin

Postby Ultraviolet » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:57 pm

Wasn't there something about ZDoom's Things being circular and Doom using a square box?
Ultraviolet
AKA "Faint"

Postby Kate » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:29 am

Ultraviolet wrote:Wasn't there something about ZDoom's Things being circular and Doom using a square box?
No, that was with the editors showing circular things. ZDoom's items were always square.
Kate
... in loving memory ...

Postby Fredrik » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:33 am

In fact Ultraviolet is right. At least to some extent, I do remember for instance that the reason rockets used to do less damage in ZDoom than in regular Doom was that Randy had changed splash damage to be circular instead of square.
Fredrik

Postby Hirogen2 » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:47 pm

And if Doom should ever become more realistic, this should have been spherical instead of circular damage.
Hirogen2

Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Death Mage » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:02 pm

That also gets rid of tricks like grabbing keys through walls by running at them at an angle, right?
Death Mage

Return to Closed Bugs