[Fixed] strange discolored "box" around the crosshair in 4

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.

strange discolored "box" around the crosshair in 4

Postby Willis » Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:44 pm

well if you look closely at this picture you will notice how around the crosshair the is slight discoloring

and in this picture of 47.cab there is no discoloring
Willis
pwned

Postby Kate » Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:58 pm

That's because the transparent background of the crosshair isn't actually transparent at all, but very translucent(the same thing happens with my custom crosshair because I use color 255 since I forgot 248 isn't transparent when used with imagetool). The same goes with the revenant missile decal where it seems to be clipped at the edges. It's not really a bug, just how the image was drawn(or at least that's how I think of it...).
Kate
... in loving memory ...

Postby Mighty Duck X-treme » Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:02 pm

I looked at the first picture, and I didn't even notice anything until I used "Select All" on the pic.
Mighty Duck X-treme
Why am I always talking to myself?

Postby randomlag » Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:22 pm

Can't really see any difference. The dark background in 1 makes it look different, but I don't think there is a difference. Could be your monitor?

Anyway not important enough for me to clip it out, see why the size difference and compare since it looks the same here :?
randomlag

Postby randi » Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:25 pm

I don't see anything different.
randi
Site Admin

Postby HotWax » Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:49 am

Okay those are some horrid pictures and like everyone else I don't see the difference.

However, I believe I know the issue you're referring to. The easiest way to see it is to find a foggy or discolored area in massm2 and make sure you have a crosshair on. You will quite clearly see a translucent box around the crosshair.

[EDIT]Okay I grabbed a quick screenie from massm2 to illustrate. Turns out it's not as simple as colored lighting/etc, so I'm not sure what causes it. It seems to be more visible in dark light, which obviously makes taking screenshots of it a pain. Also, when you fire (causing your immediate surroundings to light up a bit) it is more visible, indicating that perhaps the crosshair isn't taking into account the increased light level when rendering. But that's just idle speculation.

Anywho, here's the shot I got. Sorry about the gamma on it. The original screenie looked correct, then when I converted to GIF, the software I was using set the gamma way down for some reason, so I just bumped it up a bit. It's not pretty, but the problem is clearly visible.

HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Willis » Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:47 am

maybe your eyes arent as good as mine but there is actually a difference :) I loaded the picture into photoshop and around the crosshair the rbg color is 0 0 0 (black) and on the rest of the background is 7 7 7
Willis
pwned

Postby sirjuddington » Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:57 am

I noticed this too. I can live with it :P
sirjuddington

Discord: sirjuddington#7496
Github ID: sirjuddington

Postby Mighty Duck X-treme » Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:37 am

Agreed. :wink:
Mighty Duck X-treme
Why am I always talking to myself?

Postby HotWax » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:37 pm

Well, the bug wasn't there before, there's no reason it should be there, and it gets mildly annoying at times. It's not a game-breaking bug, but it is a bug nonetheless.
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Nanami » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:37 am

This was one of the first things I noticed besides the uncapped framerate.
Nanami
Natdhipytadd

Postby randi » Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:45 pm

Fixed for 2.0.48/2.1.0
randi
Site Admin

Postby Hirogen2 » Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:05 am

Actually this might have been intended to let the crosshair outstand? DVD subtitles for example usually have a black border around the white text so that the subtitles are readable in bright and in dark scenes. Is/Was this also the case with crosshairs?
Hirogen2

Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Return to Closed Bugs