["Fixed"] Scaled textures aligning

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Postby Chris » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:50 am

Unfortuantely that's the biggest caveat when developing stuff for beta-level software. Implementations change, features get added/removed/tweaked. Granted most of the time efforts are made to keep things the same (eg. compatibility options, ect), but it's a constant risk.

I'm not trying to sound like an ass, but that's the biggest reason people have put off making stuff for ZDoom: because of the volatile nature of beta software, feature changes, ect. Once software hits a non-beta stage it's classified "set and done", so behavioral changes are more unlikely and people feel that it's safe to release stuff without worrying about future compatilibty.
Chris

Postby Enjay » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:53 am

I agree with everything Chris has said. His example of why this should be fixed is a good and relevant one. His comments about editing for "beta" software are also spot on. It is very frustrating to edit for something, only to have the rules change with the next beta. I've had loads of minor problems as a result of this over the last few years. However, that's the nature of the beast. Having a true "final" version would make things "set and done". The goal posts would be set and we could edit for something that most people would have installed, and not have to worry about compatability with the next version.

That being said, I'm damn sure that as soon as a new Zdoom 3.0.01beta or whatever came out with spiffy new features, there'd be plenty of people doing stuff with the new features, in the full knowledge their work may get broken by the next release.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:19 am

Let's be honest. Everybody who works around bugs during editing should be aware that the behavior can change anytime. Bugs need to be fixed and the mere fact that some people just can't stop exploiting them (ok, not quite the case here but nevertheless...) should not prevent that.

LWM's street sign problem, however is a good example of something that's easily fixed: As these textures can't probably be used on solid walls anyway (and if they do just create a duplicate) just flag them so that they are adjusted in world units not pixels. That should solve the problem without redoing anything.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby LilWhiteMouse » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:50 am

Graf Zahl wrote:just flag them so that they are adjusted in world units not pixels. That should solve the problem without redoing anything.

I can't, they're using the method I was told was correct, and not a bug. Their X offset is in texels(?), while their Y offset is in world units. Making them go one way or the other will result in miss-alignments.

Why change this now anyhow? There's already the align in world offsets bit? I didn't go that route because XWE doesn't support it.
LilWhiteMouse
"Stop the world, I'm getting off."

Postby NiGHTMARE » Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:09 am

AFAIK the only released ZDoom level with scaled textures is Deep's X-Theatre, so it isn't really too much of an issue.
NiGHTMARE
.now.

Postby randi » Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:19 pm

LilWhiteMouse wrote:Don't tell me that now I've put all my street signs in place I'm going to have to go back and re-align them all?

Sorry, it's done now. At least you haven't released your map yet.
randi
Site Admin

Postby LilWhiteMouse » Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:39 pm

randy wrote:Sorry, it's done now. At least you haven't released your map yet.

Not to 3d Archives, but it's been posted. ::sighs:: Oh well.
LilWhiteMouse
"Stop the world, I'm getting off."

Previous

Return to Closed Bugs