[Not a bug] ZDOOM 2.0 beta 60 - staticky sound, skipping ...

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

ZDOOM 2.0 beta 60 - staticky sound, skipping frames, etc.

Postby Virgil » Thu Dec 25, 2003 5:43 pm

This 2.0 beta 60 is driving me crazy - I HAVE to playtest my latest project but it refuses to run smoothly!

As far as I'm concerned, this doesn't happen with any other game and ZDOOM 1.23 runs just fine on my computer. When I run it, zdoom has these random moments where the sound all of a sudden breaks off and I hear some static and then 1+ seconds later, the player is in another position and I've managed to be hit by several monsters without seeing what happened!

What probably happens is that the game goes on (i.e., monsters attacking, me moving without KNOWING wehre the hell I'm moving because I can't see the damn frames) but the frames are skipped.
It's not a soundcard problem, since sound is ok with my other games and it's probably not a sound issue with beta 60, since I ran it with the -nomusic and -nosound params and it STILL did the same thing.

This doesn't just do it with my levels. It does it with the regular doom2 levels and all the other addons I tried it with.

My OS is Win98SE and computer specs are 1.7Ghz, 512MB SD RAM, Creative Sound Blaster Live! soundcard and Radeon 9800 Pro gfx card. Would someone please tell me why beta 60 won't run correctly on these specs on a 640*480 uncapped fps??
Virgil

Postby Hirogen2 » Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:47 am

Then it must be your level. Did you correctly build a BSP? (DETH, ZETH and WinZETH are known NOT to do that for you.) Run with -nomonsters? Make a screenshot?
Hirogen2

Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby HotWax » Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:51 am

Virgil wrote:This doesn't just do it with my levels. It does it with the regular doom2 levels and all the other addons I tried it with.

Way to read the whole post, Hirogen.

This is a really odd issue you're having, Virgil. Could something on your system be interfering with ZDoom's execution? Certain background programs can steal CPU cycles just when they're needed for the foreground stuff, so try turning them off before playing ZDoom. You might also want to check for viruses and get AdAware to clean off any spyware that may be lurking on your PC. If you have XP, be sure to disable Indexing Service, Automatic Backups, and any other services you can do without. (See here for more info on XP services)
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Virgil » Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:05 am

ZDOOM 1.23 runs fine. It's unlikely that it's a background program. Then again, I'll double check. Soldier of Fortune 2 and Counter Strike seemed to run a little slower than usual. I want to know though in what ways beta 60 is different from beta 55.
Virgil

Postby Virgil » Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:38 pm

For the 2nd time, I use Win98SE.

It seems you're right hotwax. I think it's my wireless network card. Is there any way for me to make it consume less resources/have lower priority? I currently need it for internet access.
Virgil

Postby HotWax » Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:55 pm

Virgil wrote:For the 2nd time, I use Win98SE.

Sorry, didn't catch that. :oops:

It seems you're right hotwax. I think it's my wireless network card. Is there any way for me to make it consume less resources/have lower priority? I currently need it for internet access.

That's up to the card and the software/driver that goes along with it. There may be some settings you can tweak that would alleviate the problem, but it may be that you'll have to get a different card. :( It's still confusing why this wouldn't affect other programs, though.

Since ZDoom 1.23 works okay, have you tried setting cl_capfps to 1 in the console?
HotWax

Postby The Ultimate DooMer » Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:34 pm

That won't do anything, as the code for the new framerate is still there even if you have it capped. (it didn't fix my problem when I tried it)

Nothing to stop you from trying it of course.

(btw, have you tried 2.0.47 with it? If the new framerate is the problem than that's the latest one you can use)
The Ultimate DooMer
Will you start the fans please!

Postby Virgil » Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:29 pm

I'm using features like Thing_ProjectileIntercept, so I need the latest version of ZDOOM.

My current solution is uninstalling the piece of crap every time I start playtesting the gameplay and reinstalling it after I finish. The card is a WUSB 11 v2.5 (Win98SE driver). The brand name is Linksys. If anyone knows any specs on this card in terms of conflicts it has with games, etc and how reliable it is, let me know. I don't use it often, just when I'm traveling.
Virgil

Postby HotWax » Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:48 pm

I assume you've already been to the Linksys site and looked for an updated driver?
HotWax

Postby Chris » Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:04 am

Eww.. USB 1.1 and Windows 98? Uhg, don't remind me of those horrors. Try disabling it when you play ZDoom if possible, or else upgrade to Windows 2000.
Chris

Postby Cyb » Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:29 am

eww linksys... that's another problem, linksys products are notorious for being utter shite, I know this first hand sadly : (
Cyb

Postby Virgil » Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:08 am

Linksys = shit? No wonder. Thx.

/Goes to turn it off to playtest his newest project.
Virgil

Postby Hirogen2 » Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:52 pm

HotWax wrote:
Virgil wrote:This doesn't just do it with my levels. It does it with the regular doom2 levels and all the other addons I tried it with.

Way to read the whole post, Hirogen.

Yay I ever thought German was the hardest language. (Besides Finnish.) I read that as "it just doesnot do it with my levels. it does it..." Never mind.
Hirogen2

Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Kate » Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:20 pm

Cyb wrote:eww linksys... that's another problem, linksys products are notorious for being utter shite, I know this first hand sadly : (
How so? I have a linksys router and I never had a single problem with it.
Kate
... in loving memory ...

Postby wildweasel » Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:18 pm

Destroyer wrote:
Cyb wrote:eww linksys... that's another problem, linksys products are notorious for being utter shite, I know this first hand sadly : (
How so? I have a linksys router and I never had a single problem with it.
The routers aren't bad. I've had mine for around 3-4 years and it hasn't failed yet. I'm not sure about the cards - I'm using a DLink.
wildweasel
from a different perspective.
Moderator Team Lead

Next

Return to Closed Bugs